Water quantities ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
What do you guys do to mesure your sparge and strike water quicker than the fermenting bucket with the graduated mesure on the side and finishing off with the measuring cup ...

I was looking online for a gallon counter that fits on the garden hose :)

Since my strike/sparge water is heated in a separate kettle and manually added I use a 2qt pitcher that I have added additional gradations to along with a calibrated brew stick

I made a notched stick, each notch is a gallon

This is what I do. I had a scrap piece of 1x4 in the garage, so I cut it down to a 1x1 stick. Then I would dump a gallon of water in my pot, put the stick in there and make a mark at the water line. Dump another gallon and repeat until the pot was full.

Then I took a hand saw and put notches on the stick at each mark I made. I figured an ink or pencil mark might wash away with time, but a notch won't.

I put put 1/2 quart markings on a distilled water container and use that to fill my HLT. I'm not as concerned about speed with the sparge water, since I usually fill it during the mash hour when I don't have much else to do besides drink & smoke a cigar.

I use a graduated measure gallon pitcher for gallons and quarts and a measuring cup for the leftover ounces. I heat strike and sparge water in the kitchen and then move the brew pot to the garage for the boil. Which is kind of a pain in the ass, but there's no good water access out in the garage.

If I'm brewing a 5-gallon batch I heat strike and sparge water on the stove so I use an empty & clean milk jug (1 gallon) to pre-measure. If I'm brewing a 10-gallon batch I have a sight glass drilled into my HLT that I used the milk jug to calibrate and mark 1/2 gallon increments on.

Latest posts

Back