Water Quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcapone

Reaction score
Is there any real reason to buy bottled water if I have a filter for my tap water? Pretty much wondering if its worth me spending the extra money on bottled water. If I would see a difference I'd fork up the extra money.

It really depends on your water and how much volume your filter can handle. If your filter can handle the volume to brew beer then don't worry about it. If your tap water is good enough without the filter then you are set...but if your water tastes nasty or has too many minerals then you may have to do something.

I would suggest using your own tap water unless you are brewing all-grain (the water chemistry is actually important there), or have some really gross water.

The water where I live is quite high in sulphur, but when it is boiled (beer, coffee, oatmeal) all of that nasty smell is gone. No problems here.

Yea, the fundamental question is are you all grain or extract or partial mash brewing ?

I agree completely with the all grain point. If you are using extract it doesn't really matter unless your water is terrible, and even then it can be boiled off sometimes as theredben said.

If you're brewing extract beers, using distilled or RO water can be an improvement since the mashing has already been done by the maker and the minerals needed for a healthy ferment are already in the extract. If your local water has excessive levels of any ions, it can alter your beer flavor in a direction you do not prefer.

My recommendation would be to brew an identical batch to a beer you've already brewed with your tap water. This time use the distilled or RO water and see if you feel there is an appreciable difference.

PS: the water report is useless for brewing information. You can contact the water company's lab directly or have the tap water tested yourself at Ward Labs to get useful information.

Latest posts

Back