Water Quality Reverse Osmosis - Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
As we all know, water quality drives beer flavor and quality. Our home is on a farm with a well. The well is deep (460 feet). We do however see sediment come up and there is a whole house filtration system that traps out most of the particulates.

SWMBO bought a water filter that you put tap water into and put it in the fridge to chill and it supposedly cleans out 100% of particulates ( have a hard time believing that), and with our planning of building out the basement with a brew room, it brought the water issue back to the forefront.

I believe the whole house filtration in place right now is a 5 or 10 micron filter and there is a water softener behind it. Our brew room is being built right next to the piping from the well head and pressure tank, so I will get the highest possible water pressure.

Should I consider a reverse Osmosis setup? Water chemistry isn't my strong suit, so any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated...

We use a New-Wave Enviro 10 stage that gives us great drinking water, but it doesn't change the supply chemistry where it counts (for us, unfortunately). There's just no way for me to get adequate brewing water here without going at least 2/3 RO. I'd suggest getting a water quality report to know what you're dealing with, then go from there. (20 years ago we lived on a farm, and I brewed heavily. I had to send my water off as we, too, were on a well and not city-supplied).

Back