Water Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
I am going to brew up Jamils all grain Dry Stout recipe on Sunday. My LHBS provides RO water at no charge to their customers.

I have brewed three AG beers using my un-softened well water, and all three beers taste great. I haven't had my water tested in over a year, but I am going to get it done soon. I'm not sure of mineral content, but there is no bacteria, and the ph is 7.4.

Any advice/opinions on whether I should use the RO or well water to brew this stout?

Thanks.

I don't know about that recipe but stouts are generally brewed with harder water. So, use the well water.

If you like the beer you make with your water, go with it. The RO water is going to require treatment to get the right mineral/ hardness levels, costing you $$, time, and study. There are certain styles, like Burton Ales, that matching the water profile is important, but I think nailing down your process is more important than screwing with something that ain't broken!!!

I have started reading up on water more recently and may start tinkering just so I understand this aspect of brewing and can keep consistency even if I move, but I just use my hard ass Texas well water and I love my beer :tank:

Very cool that your LHBS gives RO away though. Talk to them and see if there is a particular reason to change.

Thanks...I did some research last night(should have done more searching before asking)...and I found out the same things you just told me.

I'll continue to use my water.

Latest posts

Back