Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewsbrew902

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just wanted input on my local water profile and if I should be doing anything to it to improve the final product of my beers. I generally make APA and IPA. Sometimes DIPA too. I am working with Partial Mash recipes (50-60% grains and 40-50% dry extract). I generally have to top up my primary with about 2-4L of water and for that I also use tap with the following profile.

PH: 7.3
Calcium (Ca): 3.9ppm
Magnesium (Mg): 0.4ppm
Sodium (Na): 12ppm
Sulfate (SO4): 8.5ppm
Chloride (Cl): 8.6ppm
Bicarbonate (HCO3): 19.5ppm

I've never messed around with water profiles, so any help is welcomed. I've done some research on it, but still not confident enough to play around with it. Maybe bottled water would be better?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You have excellent base water. It's very low in ion content and alkalinity. As is that water will work for almost any light colored beer however because it is so low in brewing ions you should consider adding a few to match your beers. A little Calcium (Ca2) is almost always a good idea and for your pale ales and IPA a good dose of Sulfates (SO4) is helpful in hoppy/bitter brews. Try adding some gypsum (Calcium sulfate) to bump the Ca2 up to the 50-100ppm range and the sulfate to 100+ppm. There is plenty of good information in the Brew Science section on brewing water & adjustments.

Awesome that's exactly the simplicity that i was looking for. So when exactly would I add the gypsum? I assume prior to the mash, when I'm starting to heat the water. Any suggestions for the little bit of top up water at the end?

Thanks again for you response, definitely helpful.

Back