Water Profile for a Vienna Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
I'm playing around with my water software trying to hit the below targets for a Vienna Lager but can't seem to build it without going over on the sodium and sulfates.

Target Water Profile: ppm

Ca+2 - 27

Mg+2 - 15 (currently at 6.2)

Na+ - 20 (currently at 38.6)

Cl- - 15

SO4-2 - 60 (currently at 77.7)

HCO - 80

And these are my additions for 4.17 gal mash:

Gypsum: 1.5 g

Epsom Salt : 1 g

Canning/Other Salt: .33 g

Baking Soda: 1.75 g

So I'm looking to raise magnesium a bit and lower my sodium and sulfates.

upload_2019-6-16_19-18-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-16_19-16-42.png
    upload_2019-6-16_19-16-42.png
    89 KB · Views: 61
The only thing you need to add IMO is Calcium chloride. You can reduce the SO4 by dilution if you like and you don't need any more Mg+2. None of these programs have the same "target" numbers and frankly it is impossible to hit them all anyway. Vienna is a malty and slightly dark beer. Keep the SO4 low and boost the Cl- to a moderate level.

I would dilute to reduce your SO4 by 50%, then add CaCl2 to get the Cl- up to about twice the SO4 ppm.

The only thing you need to add IMO is Calcium chloride. You can reduce the SO4 by dilution if you like and you don't need any more Mg+2. None of these programs have the same "target" numbers and frankly it is impossible to hit them all anyway. Vienna is a malty and slightly dark beer. Keep the SO4 low and boost the Cl- to a moderate level.

I would dilute to reduce your SO4 by 50%, then add CaCl2 to get the Cl- up to about twice the SO4 ppm.

I'm using distilled water already but the additions aren't matching up in any combination I try. Interesting you mention the chloride to sulfate ratio, it would make sense to me to go in the direction your saying since it is a malt forward beer. But of all the research i've done the target's I chose are the most frequent I saw being used.

Why are you adding baking soda?

Assuming this is to add bicarbonate, why do you want to raise bicarbonate?

Assuming this is to match a given profile, stop trying to match profiles. You don't want (bi)carbonate in your water unless it's needed for pH adjustment.

I'm with BigEd. You only need some Calcium chloride. If you want some sulphate (enhances the dryness which may support bitterness) then add some gypsum as well. I'd personally add enough of it/them to get Calcium up to 50ppm. Then workout your expected mash pH - too high? Add some acid. Too low (unlikely)? Add some baking soda.

Why are you adding baking soda?

Assuming this is to add bicarbonate, why do you want to raise bicarbonate?

Assuming this is to match a given profile, stop trying to match profiles. You don't want (bi)carbonate in your water unless it's needed for pH adjustment.

I'm with BigEd. You only need some Calcium chloride. If you want some sulphate (enhances the dryness which may support bitterness) then add some gypsum as well. I'd personally add enough of it/them to get Calcium up to 50ppm. Then workout your expected mash pH - too high? Add some acid. Too low (unlikely)? Add some baking soda.

Got it, thank you both!

I make a very good Vienna lager and this is my water profile, I call this a balance profile, you should increase the calcium if possible, I normally don't go below 50 for any beer

43.3 7 12 26.6 17.8 0.2
I am glad i found this thread as i have been struggling with the same thing. Could you please explain what per litre i need to add to RO for this profile?

Back