Water Profile Build - Is this how it works?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
I’m trying to brew a mild (balanced) “pale ale” with an SRM of between 5 & 7 (OG @ 1.040 and IBU @ 20).

I have a tap water profile with:

Ca @ 81 ppm
Mg @ 27 ppm
Alkalinity as CaCO3 @ 197

Using John Palmer's nomograph and formulas (as integrated into the EZ Water Adjustment Spreadsheet), I calculate my Residual Alkalinity @ 123.

For 15 gallons of water (1:1 ratio of tap water to distilled), I cut the numbers above in half. The nomograph indicates my profile is best for 10 to 15 SRM and my chloride to sulfate ratio is best suited for a “very bitter” style.

I calculate that if I add 10g Gypsum, 10g of Calcium Chloride, 8g of Epsom Salt, and 10g of table salt to the entire 15 gallon volume, I’ll end up with an RA of -9 (best for 4 to 9 SRM) and a 1:1 ratio of chloride to sulfate (best for a balanced profile)…in addition to that, all of my minerals are within the target range.

With these results, it would seem that my ending water profile would be about perfect for the style I’m trying to brew.

Am I missing anything?

Seems like you have got a handle on it. Not sure why you're adding table salt. It doesn't do anything for you. Try to keep salt at a minimum.

Also HBT user -TH- has created a far superior design of JP's spreadsheet. Google EZ water calculator.

Seems like you have got a handle on it. Not sure why you're adding table salt. It doesn't do anything for you. Try to keep salt at a minimum.

Also HBT user -TH- has created a far superior design of JP's spreadsheet. Google EZ water calculator.

Table salt increase chloride without lower RA.

The salt was to do exactly what remilard mentions...increase chloride for my chloride/sulfate ratio. However, I did some tweaks. I can eliminate the table salt and epsom salt additions and bump my Calcium Chloride by 3 grams and get the same results.

And I am using the EZ Water Calculator.

what's your chloride and sulfate in the tap water?

Cl @ 45 ppm
SO4 @ 100 ppm

I wouldn't stress about trying to get CL:SO4 to exactly 1:1. Even if it's 1:3, it won't make the bitterness harsh, especially with such a restrained 20 IBU.

Ok cool...I think I can get 1:2 without the Calcium Chloride addition, which, seems impossible to find anyway. (not really, but you know)

Back