Water or Just Need More Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitslinger

Reaction score
Another question regarding hops:

I've been all-grain brewing for a year and, until recently, sticking pretty much to recipes by Northern Brewer. I'm finding the brews to be pretty malty as a rule, even an ipa isn't as hoppy as I would think. I also live in a region w/pretty bad water. It does go through a water softener and a filter and I adjust the mash ph w/ Calcium Chloride.

Would the water be a reason for a lack of hope utilization or do I just need to add more hops?

Thanks in advance and Happy Easter!
Cheers!
D.

Another question regarding hops:

I've been all-grain brewing for a year and, until recently, sticking pretty much to recipes by Northern Brewer. I'm finding the brews to be pretty malty as a rule, even an ipa isn't as hoppy as I would think. I also live in a region w/pretty bad water. It does go through a water softener and a filter and I adjust the mash ph w/ Calcium Chloride.

Would the water be a reason for a lack of hope utilization or do I just need to add more hops?

Thanks in advance and Happy Easter!
Cheers!
D.

Based on what you said, it's very likely a water issue. First, your softener may use ion exchange. That adds sodium which enhances the perception of maltiness. Then, you add CaCl which exacerbates the situation. I would recommend either bypassing the softener or buying water. Us CaSO4 for flavor to enhance dryness and the perception if bitterness and use acid if needed to adjust pH.

Back