Water help in Mg/L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoggin

Reaction score
54 mg/l sulphate, 20 mg/l chloride, 36mg/l calcium, 115 mg/l alkalinity

how does this water look for an ESB? how does one convert mg/l to ppm?

mg/l=ppm? well that makes that easy... hahah, thanks

it's base water

Well the sulphate to chloride ratio seems on the higher end but still appropriate for a bitter beer, as a higher ratio accentuates bitterness from the hops.

The calcium seems a bit low, especially for an English style beer, where water has historically been high in calcium. I'd shoot for 75-100ppm, but that's my preference.

As far as alkalinity, whether it's appropriate or not depends on your final SRM.

cool thanks. I'll add some Calcium Chloride

beersmith estimates 9srm. but i expect it to be darker than that. Id guess around 12-14. actually similar to your picture

thanks for the help

mg/L == ppm ;)

That symbol (==) means 'identically equal'. ppm are only approximately equal to mg/L and so it should not be used. For one thing, ppm implies w/w or v/v whereas mg/L is w/v. Volume changes with temperature and with the amount of material dissolved. For all intents and purposes with solutions of the strength of the waters we are describing in brewing ppm and mg/L are numerically close enough that they can be interchanged at will but an equals sign and definitely an identically equals sign should not be used. It's a nit, I know.

That symbol (==) means 'identically equal'. ppm are only approximately equal to mg/L and so it should not be used. For one thing, ppm implies w/w or v/v whereas mg/L is w/v. Volume changes with temperature and with the amount of material dissolved. For all intents and purposes with solutions of the strength of the waters we are describing in brewing ppm and mg/L are numerically close enough that they can be interchanged at will but an equals sign and definitely an identically equals sign should not be used. It's a nit, I know.

Thus you have defined yourself as a Nit Wit. :D

For all intents and purposes with solutions of the strength of the waters we are describing in brewing ppm and mg/L are numerically close enough...

You know, I was going to include this statement as well (almost verbatim) but I was like "naaaaah it'll be fine." But of course, this is the internet :D :mug:

thanks for the info. how does the alkalinity look for a 12-15 SRM beer? 6.6 gallons.

recommend a little phosphoric acid to lower the alkalinity?

Alkalinity is a bit high for most beers (color is not a consideration). You can cut it down by adding acid but must bear in mind that every milliequivalent of bicarbonate removed (115 mg/L alkalinity is 2.3 mEq/L) will be replaced with 1 mEq of the acid's anion. Thus if you completely neutralize this 115 mg/L alkalinity with hydrochloric acid you will be introducing 2.3 mEq/L chloride (81 mg/L) or if you used sulfuric acid with 2.3 mEq/L sulfate (110 mg/L). This can be a good thing if you are trying to adjust sulfate or chloride. OTOH if you are not then you can use phosphoric which is largely flavor neutral. A better approach to reducing alkalinity from the POV that lower mineral water makes better beer, is dilution with RO water but if you do that you will want to boost the calcium and chloride levels back up (and possibly the sulfate if you are a sulfate fan).

Back