Water Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duerrbrewer

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good reasonably priced chlorine filter to use? I have only brewed two batches thus far and would like to upgrade from my Brita. Any suggestions? Micron size?

Josh

A camden tablet will be more effective then a charcoal water filter for this unless you go with a larger multistage filter I believe. Either that or you have to change the filter quite often and even then some chlorine still gets through...
I use an RO unit myself for some beers, for other styles I use a mixture of RO and tap water or just tap water for darker styles with a campden tablet..

the micron size is usually more geared for the sediment filters designed to remove solid waste ( the first stage in multistage filters ) and the activated carbon/charcoal filters as well as coconut fibers filters are designed to remove chemical and polish the water I believe..

if you will only use this for brewing you might be ok with a single multistage filter but I have one I tried before the RO system and to me it made no noticable difference when it came to removing cholirine, also some cities and towns use chloromine instead and one is tougher to remove than the other. one of them will dissipate by itself if the water is left out over night.(I dont remember which my water has or which is which unfortunately)..

Also it does make a difference if your filling the water from a tap that have an actual diffuser on it vs a spicket or hose... the diffuser helps remove chorine or chlorimine Ive read (I believe thats their purpose)

Unfortunately, Walmart is waaay cheaper than anywhere else I've found. Gotta brave the Walmartians to save a few bucks sometimes [emoji12]

I hang it over the side of the kettle. I tried to find a picture but I guess I don't have one. Hose connected to a hose valve connected to filter connected to both 90s connected to that short piece of hose hung over the side of the kettle.

Like this but the hose connects to the bottom, the 90s to the top, the short hose hangs in the pot
image000000_04.jpg

That looks like a regular garden hose not food grade so you’ll get a nice rubber hose flavor!
I use beverage hose w/std hose connections plus a 90° SS elbow on the outlet that lets me hang on the side of my HLT. I also use water directly from my water heater so I can start at 120°F plus. This does require a filter intended for hi temp water.

Just something I found as an example on the interwebs! Yes, use food grade/ RV hoses or your water (and beer) will taste like crap

That looks like a regular garden hose not food grade so you’ll get a nice rubber hose flavor!
I use beverage hose w/std hose connections plus a 90° SS elbow on the outlet that lets me hang on the side of my HLT. I also use water directly from my water heater so I can start at 120°F plus. This does require a filter intended for hi temp water.
What filter do you use for hi temp? I researched this and gave up because everything I read came to the conclusion that using a regular filter for hot water could actually concentrate contaminants and make the situation worse. Never found a decent hot water filter solution

I have used the blue ones mentioned above for my camper... The issue with them is they are only good for a short time before the activated carbon is no longer working due to the fact that they use so little they are designed for using an rv or camper on a camping trip where your not using much for very long.. basically they are sized for convenience for camping...

What filter do you use for hi temp? I researched this and gave up because everything I read came to the conclusion that using a regular filter for hot water could actually concentrate contaminants and make the situation worse. Never found a decent hot water filter solution
better to filter before the tankless heater... If your using water from a hot water tank to brew then its a bit of an oxymoron to even be worried about water quality... CDC and basically every government agency in the world that has anything to do with health strongly recommend against using water from a household hot water tank for potable water. Thats another topic in itself though that ruffles a lot of feathers with people.

Im sure we will hear from a bunch of folks who claim theve been doing it for years and are healthy as a horse.... So that means theres no negative effects right? Same argument my mother uses about her smoking..

That's the conclusion I came to as well which is why I was wondering if someone had found a viable hot water filter. It would be nice to start with hot water but I think you're right, a dedicated instant water heater using filtered or RO water is ideal. Just pricey and I've got other projects that take precedence!

I have a canister and cartridges specifically designed for higher temp water. My plumber gave it to me. It was an extra from a whole house install.
The canister is red and a little larger than the standard carbon filters.
Another point to be considered with any filtration system is than you should fill your HLT slowly. This will make the filter much more effective.

I have a canister and cartridges specifically designed for higher temp water. My plumber gave it to me. It was an extra from a whole house install.
The canister is red and a little larger than the standard carbon filters.
Another point to be considered with any filtration system is than you should fill your HLT slowly. This will make the filter much more effective.
Interesting...When you get a chance could you take a pic or 2? With make and model if there's a plate or something. Thank you!

Can anyone suggest a good reasonably priced chlorine filter to use? I have only brewed two batches thus far and would like to upgrade from my Brita. Any suggestions? Micron size?

Josh
PUR and other companies make a filter that will remove chlorine and chloramines. You will need a filter that states it removes both. Many municipalities now use chloramines alone or in conjunction with chlorine. Use a carbon filter if your water just tastes bad and then Campden to remove chlorine and chloramine for brewing, cleaning, and sanitizing water.

The truth of the matter is that those filter setups will only remove chlorine/chloramine if the flow through them is slow enough, *and* you'll need to chlorine test the water as the filter ages to see when it's not doing the job any longer.

Or you can add a pinch of metabisulfite, or half a campden (not 'camden'!) tablet, which is much cheaper and known to be 100% effective.

"or half a campden (not 'camden'!" my apologies if I upset anyone.

No, you're OK - Chipping Campden is a village on the edge of the Cotswolds that is home to the former Brewing Research Institute, Camden-without-the-p is a district in London known for being home to fashion, music and media types - Kate Moss, Amy Winehouse etc.- who are all too off their faces to care about spelling....

The London one is also notable for a lager brewery that's now owned by ABInBev.

If you're talking about the three-canister filter setup, that's nothing more than a sediment filter and two carbon filters. The whole 'calcium and minerals for health' has been debunked.

I use a simple block carbon filter with a little bit of campden tablet and I get excellent results. I live in Philadelphia which has a good mineral profile, but is heavily chlorinated with elemental chlorine and chloramine. This is my filter...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...as2&tag=brulosophy-20&linkId=QOXNNP2YTE2Q43F5

Pretty much what everyone else is suggesting, but in a full kit.
It comes with housing,filter,fittings, and short hose. I got some drinking water grade hose and hooked it up to exterior faucet... good to go. It's cheaper than RO and doesn't strip out the minerals. My unfiltered water pH is around 8, so i use a bit of 88% lactic acid in my mash and sparge water.

Back