Water differences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruizer8

Reaction score
I am starting to get a little more into what affects the beer I make and I am curious about the effects of water. I have city water and my in-laws have a well so I have two different sources. My question is, what would be a good style of beer or recipe to use to compare the differences? I am assuming something lighter, but was have others used?

Best place to start would be getting a water quality test done so you know what you're working with, I was lucky enough that a local brew club did it and posted the results on their website. But if you wanted to know for sure what you're working with, thats the way to go. I want to say the test is fairly cheap.

I was planning on getting a water test done too, but that wouldn't really tell me how it affects flavor. Between a water test and tasting, it would give me a decent idea of what in the water affects the flavor.

It's a bit of a complicated question. A lot of the effects of water on taste has to do with all grain brewing and mash pH - too high or too low and you can get flavor problems. pH is going to vary not only with the water source but with the grainbill, so some water sources without any alteration are more suited to brewing pale beers and others suited to dark beers. Most all grain brewers do mineral and acid additions to hit the correct mash pH so they can brew a variety of styles. With extract brewing you don't have to worry about this component but there can still be flavor effects from water. For example high sulfate levels will accentuate the bitterness or sometimes cause a harshness. This might be desirable in something like an IPA but not other styles. High sodium and chloride can give a salty taste. So you can see how brewing a single batch of one particular style is not going to come close to giving you a complete idea on the effects of water. If you're wanting to experiment I would also suggest using water reports to manipulate one aspect at a time. If you are brewing all grain I would definitely learn about pH and how to control it.

If it were me, I'd start with small batches of Centennial Blonde. It's inexpensive and a relatively quick turnaround, grain to glass. But keep in mind this style can reflect all sorts of flaws, not just the difference in the water source. Keeping the water as the only variable in this experiment will be difficult.

Thanks for the advice. Since different styles may have different effects, I think I will brew something in the style I prefer. Then start messing with different aspects of the water chemistry.

OK, after you brew, and then want to "start messing with different aspects of the water chemistry", you still need to know where you are starting, before knowing what additions or dilutions are needed.
Get a water profile test done. It is absolutely the starting point of any discussion about water.

It will be hard to pick a single test style since water chemistry effects some styles more than others. Your city water might be moderately hard and the well water could be anything from soft to really hard. So a stout might taste OK with either and a pils might taste like crap with both.

A pale ale might be a good compromise but you really should test both water sources. The ideal water combo might be a mix of both plus some RO....test both sources before, you have to know your starting point.

Back