Water chiller questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this on CL today.

CL
5Gc5Z25R63G93I53F6c7f46103f2f7ac71be7.jpg

Wondering if it has enough capacity/throughput to work with a plate chiller.

I realize these are intended for a cold water tap at your sink, and I couldn't find flow specs on this in a quick google search.

Anyone use something like this?

I doubt it is engineered to handle the temps a plate chiller would. 180-200F wort will probably start melting the inner tubing and washers in that machine and leech plastic chemicals into your beer. There's 0% chance I'd use that as a wort chiller.

But you could probably use this to chill water down to pump through an IC, right?

Not sure what you are intending with this. If you're thinking of putting hot wort through it, then Topher is right, it's doubtful it can handle the heat.

But you said "use it with a plate chiller" which implies to me that you're taking the cold water output from this and putting it through a plate chiller while you're putting wort through the other side. I don't believe water chillers like this work on flowing water - they have a small reservoir that they cool so you can get cold water at your tap. The rate at which they cool water is far, far below what a plate chiller needs. That said, it probably would cool tap water some, and if you need a pre-chiller this would probably help. Sorry I don't have flow/chill specs. Good luck, and if you try it, let us know how it works out.

Back