Water chemistry for extract neipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a "juicy" session type of beer using 5lbs extra light, and 1lb wheat dme in a 5 gallon batch. Probably do a 15min boil using 6 gallons of distilled water (~6.5 gallon boil total volume). I'll be using 1oz Columbus at 15min, 1oz Amarillo at flame out, a bunch of stuff in whirl pool & dry hop, and fermented with wlp007 if that makes any difference. My question is, can I use the same water chemistry in an extract brew as one would in an all grain recipe, or should it be different because I'm not mashing and the extract will have some minerals and what not already in it? I've never messed with water before, but seems like it's pretty important for this type of beers mouthfeel. I know it's not going to be perfect, but figure that every little bit helps. Suggestions of what to use (and how much), or any other input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
wickerman

i've never done an extract before, and when using salt additions, you're typically mixing your mash water and sparge water seperate. Mash water is typically adjusted to keep your pH in line. sulphate and chloride additions help adjust the final taste profile. calcium and magnesium are typically for yeast health (as well as pH balance).

If looking to adjust water for an extract, you're looking primarily to adjust your final taste profile. NEIPA are typically..."typically" (there's a million views on this out there) 2:1 chloride to sulfate ratio.

you could use calcium chloride, calcium sulfate or magnesium sulfate (so your calcium doesnt go through the roof) to achieve this profile outcome.

Get familiar with bru'nwater if you're going to play with water chemistry. you'll need to know your existing water profile or start with RO water. There are some fabulous tutorials out there, and excellent primer right within the Brun'water spreadsheet.

Again - i've never done this with extract brews, but it should give you a head start on where to look!

good luck!

It is important that you not use water with much (or any) alkalinity so that your wort pH isn't higher than desirable. I like using about 75 ppm SO4 and 150 ppm Cl, but I've heard of other brewers using a little more SO4 than what I use.

Don't forget that the extract probably has a little SO4 and Cl content in it from the original brewing water, so don't target the full levels mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back