Water chemisrty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggubba

Reaction score
I am going to brew my first all grain beer this sunday. I have concerns about my water chemistry being that my water comes from a drilled well. My house has soft water so I know that is out of the question. My well water is 13 grains per gallon hard with .2 ppm of iron and a hint of sulfur (which disappates during the boil due to the removal of oxygen.) The ph of my water 7. With that being said, I am brewing a Black IPA so I am thinking the darker more acidic malt shall get the ph dialed in. I am going to do a single temperature infusion and batch sparge. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Iron never made a good beer for me.
I think my well water has enough iron that it is magnetic and the sulfur smell is bad
before I went with a RO filter I would buy 5gal jugs of water at homeys D

Setting up a RO unit is probably the best alternative in this case. Be sure to hook the RO unit up so that its source water is the softened water from the house. That will help extend the life of the membrane.

Latest posts

Back