Water boiling urn recommendations in USA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl6

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm based in the US, but I've been following some of the Australian brewers that are using water boiling urns - the kind with a temperature knob on the side that goes up to or past boiling - and I've been wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a brand or store (online/physical) to get them from in the USA.

I've seen several, but I'm not sure if some are better than others.

I'm also curious why they're not very easy to find here - it seems like in Australia they're much more common...

I know Adcraft makes one that could be a good option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FNZM9C/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3OIMKIW7CH44V&colid=2GII3XOLHXIDG.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are also pretty common here in Europe, i would go with an induction hob and stainless steel pot though.. Easier to clean and more efficient..

Australia and Europe is 240v vs 120v.

Capacity of the urn linked above is questionable. 100 "coffee" cups is only 500-600 oz, 4-5 gallons.

You can get one of the European models, Burco is a popular brand if you have 240v available?

The "mash and boil, or grainfather also fits this description but are more expensive.

If your on a budget, check craigslist for an electric turkey fryer - seafood steamer. Only 1650w but ime will boil with patience and the lid partially on. They can be found cheap :) , are 18 qt, some have a drain valve and work well for what they are...

Can also fry turkeys, steam lobster, low country boil, or steam 100 hot dogs at your next house party lol.

Thank you for the recommendation of the electric turkey fryer, induction burner, and seafood steamer!

I hadn't considered those yet as viable solutions. I'll see what I can find and update you if I find something that works for me.

I "googled" electric turkey fryer and man they are expensive and most are less than 4 gallons. Maybe that's why we don't use them "here".

You could look at something like the Turbo 500 boiler. 1600W, 6.5 gal capacity, and takes about 2 hrs to bring 5 gal of 45˚F water to a boil.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to slow. Can't beat a propane burner.

OP was looking for electric, what's your comment got to do with that? :confused:

A large part of the world has 220 - 240V typical residential service, so electric is a viable option. The US having 120V service for most outlets, limits the wattage available, which translates to slow heating. This is why most electric brewing systems are set up for 240V, which requires the use of a dryer, stove or custom outlet in the US.

OP was looking for electric, what's your comment got to do with that? :confused:

A large part of the world has 220 - 240V typical residential service, so electric is a viable option. The US having 120V service for most outlets, limits the wattage available, which translates to slow heating. This is why most electric brewing systems are set up for 240V, which requires the use of a dryer, stove or custom outlet in the US.

Sorry lost track of the OP's post.

I "googled" electric turkey fryer and man they are expensive and most are less than 4 gallons. Maybe that's why we don't use them "here".

Must be a different google. Most electric turkey fryers I'm familiar with are 28 plus quarts. Your on line volume reference may be for oil when frying, and not liquid capacity. Older models were round like this, are 28 qt and are 1650w. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497573078.386353.jpg

Newer offerings are a bit larger at 8 gallons measured. Prompted by this thread I took a look on Craigslist and found this beauty 8 gallon capacity XXL Butterball for $15, that I absolutely don't need but had to have lol. I feel these things are underrated and overlooked for homebrewing on a budget. Years ago they had a little bit of popularity, but the slow heating and meager boil kept people away. Today the lower boil off is said to be a good thing lol. Grainfather is only 1650w and selling by the ton lol... View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497573311.036647.jpg

And if your looking to match the speed of propane, two cheap turkey fryers can be piggy backed like this w two elements totaling 3300w for impressive times to heat / boil.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1497573990.216751.jpg

The "best" way certainly not....but a guy could be e-brewing in his basement for peanuts when it's 10 or 110 degrees outside. These things are useful and can be had for a song.

Back