water app? is there one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
So...i bought a brewlab kit and tested my water - Now what do i do? I thought there woud be a app - i could ut in the beer type and my water profile and it will tell me what to do - is there such a thing?

Thanks!!

I use brun' water. Beersmith and Brewer's friend also have water calculators.

So...i bought a brewlab kit and tested my water - Now what do i do? I thought there woud be a app - i could ut in the beer type and my water profile and it will tell me what to do - is there such a thing?

Thanks!!

If you are looking for different water profiles, there are several brew programs that also give water profiles based upon beer type. Missing in the above programs list is Brewfather.

Beersmith's gives a lot of water profiles from all over the world, however, its calculation of how much acid to use is not very accurate. Most members use a percentage (from their own experience) of what Beersmith calculates. I never relied upon Beersmith pH calculation.

Once I determine what the water profile I'm trying to match is, I use Mash Made Easy. I highly recommend it and it is FREE. You can find it here MashMadeEasy

I recommend brewfather for ease of use and modern design. I've seen a couple of excel calculators out there and while they may produce accurate results I found them too awkward to use. For me the brewfather calculator has worked very well, and I've been reading it's about to get even better.

If you are looking for different water profiles, there are several brew programs that also give water profiles based upon beer type. Missing in the above programs list is Brewfather.

Beersmith's gives a lot of water profiles from all over the world, however, its calculation of how much acid to use is not very accurate. Most members use a percentage (from their own experience) of what Beersmith calculates. I never relied upon Beersmith pH calculation.

Once I determine what the water profile I'm trying to match is, I use Mash Made Easy. I highly recommend it and it is FREE. You can find it here MashMadeEasy

The Beersmith calculation was based on an inaccurate model and even the creator of that model acknowledged the error and has fixed it. In the newest release of BS3.1 Brad included the corrections and even added a second PH calculation option that you can use as described in the release notes:

I’ve added an additional mash pH model based roughly on the popular BNW calculator. The previous BeerSmith mash pH calculator used the MPH model but some brewers preferred an alternate model so now you can select which mash pH model to use on the mash tab. In general the two models are very close with mash pH estimates, but the BW model will result in much less acid needed to adjust the pH than the MPH model.

The Beersmith calculation was based on an inaccurate model and even the creator of that model acknowledged the error and has fixed it. In the newest release of BS3.1 Brad included the corrections and even added a second PH calculation option that you can use as described in the release notes:

I’ve added an additional mash pH model based roughly on the popular BNW calculator. The previous BeerSmith mash pH calculator used the MPH model but some brewers preferred an alternate model so now you can select which mash pH model to use on the mash tab. In general the two models are very close with mash pH estimates, but the BW model will result in much less acid needed to adjust the pH than the MPH model.

Hi Kevin - this sounds perfect but I can't find it on my mash tab. Do you see it?

edited to say doh 3.1 ... very cool didn't even realize this was coming... It's main reason I stick with BS he just doesn't seem to get tired of continuing to support the product.

Attachments

• 1593531665870.png
    1593531665870.png
    736.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Good to know. Has he integrated Tilt into the program yet? Has he updated the inventory module or fixed the bugs it had regarding its accuracy?

I stopped using BS3 last November 2019 and switched to Brewfather. I still have recipes in my BS2 program as backup if needed. I'm very pleased with Brewfather and like the user friendly platform along with other features (like Tilt integration; accurate inventory module; access from any computer, tablet or phone, etc.) that BS3 at the time did not have. Though, I did find the different water profiles around the world in BS3 useful.

Good to know. Has he integrated Tilt into the program yet? Has he updated the inventory module or fixed the bugs it had regarding its accuracy?

I stopped using BS3 last November 2019 and switched to Brewfather. I still have recipes in my BS2 program as backup if needed. I'm very pleased with Brewfather and like the user friendly platform along with other features (like Tilt integration; accurate inventory module; access from any computer, tablet or phone, etc.) that BS3 at the time did not have. Though, I did find the different water profiles around the world in BS3 useful.

yes on Tilt
not sure on the bugs ... claims lots of bug fixes here are the release notes:

http://beersmith.com/beersmith-3-1-release-notes/
Brewfather sounds cool too but who exactly is Warpkode AS and how committed are they to homebrewing? I got really invested in Beer Alchemy, 100 batches or so but they just faded off.

Brewfather sounds cool too but who exactly is Warpkode AS and how committed are they to homebrewing? I got really invested in Beer Alchemy, 100 batches or so but they just faded off.
It's a Norwegian company, I'm not sure if it's a one-man-effort or if it's a team, but the support for this application is outstanding. I've been working in IT for 30+ years and it's one of the best supported tools I've ever come across.

It's a Norwegian company, I'm not sure if it's a one-man-effort or if it's a team, but the support for this application is outstanding. I've been working in IT for 30+ years and it's one of the best supported tools I've ever come across.

I agree it is very user friendly and robust. I first became aware of Brewfather awhile back and thought nothing of it until a pro who had been using BS forever gave very high marks on it. Once I started using it, I found that I liked it better than BS3. It's water calculation module is very good as well as when I compare it to MME. I'm staying with MME though as I have found it serves me well.

Last edited:
[...]edited to say doh 3.1 ... very cool didn't even realize this was coming... [...]

Might be because the 3.0.8 "Check For Updates" never finds existing updates?

Thanks for the heads up on 3.1.5 - I did the "Check For Updates" thing a few minutes ago, got nada, then went straight to beersmith.com.
Et voila, right there on the home page. Sheesh.

So, I download and run the update, go along with the new data repository location thing after doing a backup (old data is already mirrored to my Google Drive but whatever), restart Beersmith after the update, and this is what popped up:

1593565362625.png

Um...yeah, ok Brad....

Cheers! ;)

Latest posts

Back