Water Adjustments VIA Bru'n Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoe2MSP

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing up a batch of plankbr's Fresh Squeezed inspired IPA on Saturday. this will be my third all grain/BIAB and will be using RO water so i used bru'n water to figure out which additions i need. this is my first time using it so i was hoping to get some input on whether or not i used it right and if i have the additions close enough. i noticed that the bicarbonate is pretty low.

any advice is appreciated. cheers!

here's a link to plankbr's recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470557

and the bru'n water adjustments:

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 1.36.40 PM.png

You don't need to worry about matching bicarbonate levels. Bicarbonate (for most beers) can be 0 or as close to 0 as possible. Unless you are brewing a dark beer, just forget that bicarbonate column exists. Bicarbonate will help raise mash pH which is sometimes needed when brewing with darker roaster malts.

Add the minerals before adding your grain. I put in my water, put in the additions and then stir so I know it is all mixed. Then I add my grain.

You can also skip the epsom salt addition if you want. Mg is used for yeast nutrient but grains nowadays have enough Mg for the yeast that you don't need to add extra. The low amount won't hurt anything though. Some people like Mg in their pale ales.

Edit: just saw your mash pH. While it is in range, you may want to increase it to around 5.4. This is where bicarbonate comes into play. You can use a little baking soda. That will add a little Na and increase your mash pH.

Back