water adjustment for Munich Helles lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
putting together my plan for a Munich Helles lager BIAB session this weekend. I used BeerSmith 3 to get the lactic acid value for a target mash pH of 5.4. Last thing to dial in is brewing salts (if any)

Here is my base water profile from Ward Labs:
pH 7.7
Ca: 51 ppm
Mg: 6 ppm
Na: 17 ppm
SO4: 12 ppm (3x Ward Labs value)
Chloride: 45 ppm
Bicarb: 111 ppm
Alkalinity: 91 ppm
Resid Alkalinity: 51 ppm

Here is what John Palmer's spreadsheet suggest for BJCP style 1D:

Ca: 50-60 ppm
Mg: 0-30 ppm
Na: <100 ppm
SO4: 0-50 ppm
Chloride: 50-100 ppm
Alkalinity: 0-40 ppm

overall not too far off. So I need to reduce alkalinity by ~1/2, while raising sulfate and chloride?
Problem I'm seeing is that both gypsum and calcium chloride increase calcium which I don't need.

3 grams of Epsom salts gets me the sulfate I need without putting Mg over the limit, but leaves chloride below target.

Any input on what to try for salts additions?

I don't think you need to add anything but you do need to reduce the carbonates and alkalinity. The Cl- and SO4+ is fine as is and 6ppm of Mg+ is plenty. If the acid addition takes care of the residual alkalinity, you're fine. Otherwise you will probably have to consider dilution and then add back some Calcium chloride to get the Ca+ and Cl- where they need to be.

I agree with the sentiment above. Neutralize alkalinity as needed for pH and that water is good. I prefer a bit less chloride and more sulfate, its OK.

Latest posts

Back