water 2 grains or grains 2 water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
question for the all-grain brewers:

when i brew, i add water to cover my manifold, then add my grains, then add the mash water. i have had very good results with this, but i'm going to have to change my routine on mashing in. i got my new three tiered keg-kettle system, and will have to heat my mash water in the mash/lauter tun, then add my grains to the water. has anyone done it both ways and noticed a difference in efficiency in one method compared to the other method? i guess the main concern would be dough balls forming from adding the grain to the water? just have to stir well before i set it in to mash......

i hate that i have to change my routine, but this new brew system is killer. all stainless, Swedglok valves and fittings, the works....... :cool:

Seems to me that as long as you stirred the grains in, you'd be fine. I doubt you'd have to worry too much about the grain bed getting compacted, since it'll tend to float as you pour and stir. But, I just use I cooler, and add water, then grains, then water, etc.

We need pics. :D

I have close to the same setup and I found that adding grain to the water actually helped in hitting my strike temps more exact. I have a 1/2inch feed from my HLT to my mash tun. This takes a few minutes anf I know I will lose about 1 or 2 degrees. I dump the grains in all at once; some times up to 24 lbs. I put a paint mixer on my cordless drill and use that to mix. Works great and haven't had any issues. When I did this in reverse I noticed a 4 - 6 degree loss. At this point I don't know why. Since I get less of a drop in temperature adding grain to the mash water I stuck with it.

good idea on the paint mixer. i used to use that set-up to aerate my cooled wort....
that's the way most in my brew club do it (add grains to the mash water in the mash/lauter tun), but you know how it is. you get something down and get good results, you hate to jack with it.

i treated/primed the frame last night and going to paint it tonight. i'll post a few pics when she's done!

Back