Watch out for STC-1000 knock-offs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairdo

Reaction score
Unfortunately I ordered 2 of these on ebay without inspecting the images. I wasn't aware of knock-offs that look almost identical. In some cases (like mine) they are listed as being a STC-1000.

The difference is the knock-off can only switch on/off one system (heat or cool). That is.. you can't leave your fermenter unattended and have the TC switch on the heating system (eg. heat pad) when the temp gets too low, or, switch on the cool system (in eg. fridge/freezer) when your precious beer gets too warm. It can only do one of those things unattended (from what I've read. I have no intention of using it - on principle I'm throwing my toys and getting a refund - although i suppose I could use it for a heater in the baby room).

Here is the link to the knock-off I purchased..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360869572612

Here is what appears to be a genuine STC-1000. (I'll confirm once it shows up)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360880648658

send it back for a refund if its not an stc-1000 . use the ebay site customer service and pick item wasnt as described. youll be refunded the money you spent or they will replace it with the real thing

I live in NZ. The item came from China. To ship it back would cost more than its worth.

But the seller offered a generous refund.. *cough*
"We apologize for all the troubles caused to you.1) We refund you $2 , OK? Because we also suffer loss, we paid the shipping fee and the eBay final value fee.You can keep it and do not need to return.2) After the refund, do hope you can leave us Positive Feedback with over 4 stars scores. 3) If not agree, we would like to know your solution.Please don't be angry or leave any feedback before you email us, we hope to solve problem peacefully. Your understanding would be highly appreciated.Waiting for your early reply. Best regards,"

I live in NZ. The item came from China. To ship it back would cost more than its worth.

But the seller offered a generous refund.. *cough*
"We apologize for all the troubles caused to you.1) We refund you $2 , OK? Because we also suffer loss, we paid the shipping fee and the eBay final value fee.You can keep it and do not need to return.2) After the refund, do hope you can leave us Positive Feedback with over 4 stars scores. 3) If not agree, we would like to know your solution.Please don't be angry or leave any feedback before you email us, we hope to solve problem peacefully. Your understanding would be highly appreciated.Waiting for your early reply. Best regards,"

Not to be stereotyping but it does seem like a normal tactic, bait & switch. They do seem to work on the majority that get stung are not bothered enough to push it any further - for most the knock will get the job done, just not exactly what was wanted. Ebay sellers do seem to put a lot of emphesis on their feedback rating and that is one card in your hand, and if you paid via paypal/CC you should have one more. Basically the long and short is you received an item that was not the item that was listed "STC-1000 All-Purpose Temperature Controller Thermostat With Sensor 220V HE". The photos on the listing do show that it is not actually a STC-1000 since the wiring diagram only has one relay.
I would respond with you want to return the item for a full refund and expect them to pay for the return shipping since they did not label the item correctly in their listing. Tell them it the return shipping costs will be approximately NZ$13 and take 10-25 working days (NZpost.co.nz rate finder). Plainly state that the Item was not listed correctly and you wish to purchase an actual STC-1000, and your feedback will reflect how they have handled their mistake.
I would expect they would offer a full refund eventually.
By the way have you raise a claim through ebay? As another trick I have seen is if you do not post feedback within 30 days (IIRC) you can no longer leave it, meaning some will just wait it out or promise a refund and then back out when you loss your advantage.

If you do get you refund and go on to buy an actual STC-1000, I might be keen on the one you have :D

Yeah I know (NOW) the photos do actually represent the product accurately but at the time I didn't bother looking at the enlarged pics because I already have a STC-1000 so well aware what it looks like - plus the thumbnail pic for all money looked to be it. I usually just sort by 'cheapest incl shipping to nz' and pick a reputable seller - which obviously didn't work out for me this time.

I have been very clear in the dispute resolution that a refund is the only acceptable outcome, and additionally if they wish the items to be returned they will need to arrange/pay for, shipping. It's a slap in the face offering a $2 dollar refund. I'm not particularly worried about the $s but I do want them to acknowledge their listing is inaccurate, refund me and presumably change the description of the item so others don't get caught out.

Crack it open and take some pictures.... I'm wondering if the insides are STC-like....

I recently also purchased a crappy one output temp control stc-1000 ripoff. The first thing was that was fishy is that it read in Fahrenheit. It would be fine for an indoor DIY keezer thats about it. I complained and got the thing for $10 which is easier than sending it back to China.

Crack it open and take some pictures.... I'm wondering if the insides are STC-like....

That is what I was going to do, then flash my currecnt STC to a STC-1000+ (with the cheap one as a spare in case I do it wrong!)

Might still be useful. My fermenting fridge is out in the shed, so lately the STC1000 only turns on the fridge when I want to cold crash.

That is what I was going to do, then flash my currecnt STC to a STC-1000+ (with the cheap one as a spare in case I do it wrong!)

Yep - if it's just missing a relay and still has the PIC MCU it might be quite a score!

If you do get you refund and go on to buy an actual STC-1000, I might be keen on the one you have :D
They're being punks. In the end the only option I was left with is the seller offering a 'full refund' BUT I am required to return them to China at my expense. Ebay buyer protection is a total crock in this particular situation (ie. the return shipping cost is most of the item value). I took some satisfaction when placing appropriate feedback. PM me if you want one. $14 plus postage (cost me 28nz for 2 of them). I'll keep the other one for a keezer project.

I love how they keep banging on that they want to make things right yet I've already sent 3 messages telling them clearly a full refund is the only option - not a full full refund IF i pay to return the things. (I've also had 3 messages from them much like this - waist of time)

"Friend,really very sorry for the defective item(it's Not what you expected).
I am so sad that you leave us a negative feedback before you contact us.
Is that ok we full refund you and you help us to revise the negative feedback to positive one?
Negative feedback has a bad influence to our store's reputation.
Could you pls kindly give me a chance to remedy it?
It is not easy to make money under financial crisis.
I will very appreciate if you can help us.
Waiting for your reply soon.
Best regards
ZUO Lingling"

A friend of mine bought one of these a little over a year ago but never realized it was a fake. He just figured they made two different models and that he didn't read closely enough.

That's why I like Amazon. Most everything is shipped from stateside, though there are a few 3rd party vendors from overseas and those are easy to spot. Normally the product listing will state something like "in stock, ships within X days" If it says "ships within X weeks" I avoid it.

Back