Wastewater Pipe Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamyoung

Reaction score
Hi everyone - hoping I could get some help either finding a part I need or maybe some ideas on other ways to solve my problem...

I want a way to hook my submersible pump and float up to a garden hose that can connect to a pipe mounted through a piece of plywood that is covering a window opening in my basement, to then be able to connect to a garden hose outside so that I can run that off into the reaches of my back yard, thusly avoiding wastewater from my brewery going into my septic or my sump ejection field.

If I could find an approximately 6"-long pipe nipple that is completely threaded on the outside, I could drill the hole in the plywood and then secure it with silicone and two of these flanged lock nuts (like you'd use on a kegerator tap shank): https://www.webstaurantstore.com/fisher-6651-9000-3-4-brass-locknut/34066519000.html

I already found adapters to convert the 3/4" NPT to garden hose for the ends. It's only 3/4" thick plywood, but I want the ends of the nipple to both be far enough away from the wood that any dripping happens at a distance...don't want that to repeatedly soak the wood, or at least want to mitigate that a bit. I realize I could run a piece of pipe that only has the ends threaded, but then I don't see a structurally-sound way to secure it in place...this thing is going to get a decent amount of use, and so I want to have a good, secure mounting.

Anybody know where to possibly get a nipple like that? I've called and shopped around...not seeing it. Or, knowing what I'm trying to accomplish, any ideas? I prefer the nipple setup, but I realize I may need to think outside of the box if that can't happen. Thanks!

Meant to say, too: not married to the 3/4" NPT - 1/2" would probably work fine, too, or really anything I can push a decent amount of fluid through and for which I can get the flanged nuts and the adapters to garden hose thread on the ends I need.

I wouldn't worry about leakage, use pipe dope and a breaker bar and it should never leak. I installed a 3/4" propane line and tested it with compressed air using this method, hasnt dropped at all in 20+ months. You can use a close or 1-1/2" nipple through the wood, and use couplings or FNPT to FGHT adapters to sandwich the plywood.

Brewers yeast is supposedly very good for septic systems....

Rather than using plywood lid, I’d suggest an hdpe barrel with fitted lid.

If you are going to leave liquid in this system you want to mimic a sewage ejection system to avoid smells.

The garden hose could pass through a hole in the lid with a rubber grommet to seal....

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...fgLLPSzJlr42Uzg_VNgEoaAh6o8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I often see these available used for 10-15 bucks...

Hi everyone - hoping I could get some help either finding a part I need or maybe some ideas on other ways to solve my problem...

I want a way to hook my submersible pump and float up to a garden hose that can connect to a pipe mounted through a piece of plywood that is covering a window opening in my basement, to then be able to connect to a garden hose outside so that I can run that off into the reaches of my back yard, thusly avoiding wastewater from my brewery going into my septic or my sump ejection field.

If I could find an approximately 6"-long pipe nipple that is completely threaded on the outside, I could drill the hole in the plywood and then secure it with silicone and two of these flanged lock nuts (like you'd use on a kegerator tap shank): https://www.webstaurantstore.com/fisher-6651-9000-3-4-brass-locknut/34066519000.html

I already found adapters to convert the 3/4" NPT to garden hose for the ends. It's only 3/4" thick plywood, but I want the ends of the nipple to both be far enough away from the wood that any dripping happens at a distance...don't want that to repeatedly soak the wood, or at least want to mitigate that a bit. I realize I could run a piece of pipe that only has the ends threaded, but then I don't see a structurally-sound way to secure it in place...this thing is going to get a decent amount of use, and so I want to have a good, secure mounting.

Anybody know where to possibly get a nipple like that? I've called and shopped around...not seeing it. Or, knowing what I'm trying to accomplish, any ideas? I prefer the nipple setup, but I realize I may need to think outside of the box if that can't happen. Thanks!
look for a "bulkhead fitting" I think thats what youre describing that you need.

I would use a hose bib. So long as your pump is capable of dead-heading, the hose-bib already does everything you need, connects in NPT and ends in GHT. Get outdoor-rated plywood and put a couple of coats of outdoor paint and residual splashing should not be an issue.

Here are some other things I found that I may consider for anyone else who stumbles across this thread, and I'll also describe what I'm planning a little more here for same...

https://www.tsbrass.com/p/miscellaneous-parts/B-0424

https://www.partstown.com/t-s-brass...vzqtMYDo_gHBCLgCQQEaaCw0aAssjEALw_wcB#id=spec

My setup is an eHERMS system consisting of 3x 20-gallon kettles, and like most, it ends up going through a counterflow chiller at the end. The setup is right next to a utility sink ("laundry tub") which is right beneath the wooden "window" I had in mind to run that nipple through. My thought was to eject any waste water for caustic cleaning (PBW, Oxyclean), sanitization (Starsan), and wort chilling (cycled counterflow chiller water) into that utility sink with a plug in its drain, and then have my 1/5 HP pump I use for all kinds of things which has a garden hose thread attachment, and add a float switch to it when it's in that sink to eject it out of my house through the nipple/window. I'd connect a garden hose from the pump to that nipple on the inside of the wooden window, and on the outside of the wooden window I'd hook up my rather long garden hose and run it out into the nether reaches of my yard where the waste water could more innocously be disposed of. If I'm cooling hot wort, I'd probably start by just letting it drain in the utility sink (which would go into my septic system), and once the cycled water got to a reasonably-low temperature that the garden hoses could handle, that's when I'd attach in aforementioned fashion.

The bulkhead idea is pretty good - it'd allow me to anchor that setup to the wooden window and then allow me to connect a more 'standard' pipe on the inside. I may go that route (with, again, my thanks to your suggestions) - I wish the outside part of it would extend out a bit further to keep connections away from the window and foundation of the house a bit, but it probably wouldn't be a huge deal. If anybody is interested in how this all turns out, feel free to DM me (again, notifications on this thread have been inconsistent) and I would be glad to post here. Thank you all again.

Back