Waskawee Wabbits!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
My goldings popped up (finally)...but it looks almost like something at the stalk? Are wabbits or other varmits prone to eating hops plants? There's a hole in my fence he comes through. And the jumbo nuggets (which are performing by far the best so far), weren't touched?

It couldn't be a bug infestation could it?

Nah, it's rabbits. They have a fancy for the tips of the shoots. Rabbits nipped a number of tips from mine this year but they just couldn't keep up with the sheer number of bines my Cascade produced.

I've got one Rabbit that visits my yard and he/she doesn't touch the hops at all, seems content with nibbling at the grass.

Ah crap! I didn't think of the wabbits! I once counted 7 of them in my back yard at once. Now I'm worried about the 4 hops I planted in the ground. I have my 1st 3 in large pots and all of those are well over 6 feet high now so those are not a concern. I guess I'll have to run down to the store and get chicken wire.

beerloaf

I'd make an example of 1 of the 7....that'll cause the other 6 to get in line...

Back