Washington Wildfires Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got word that my home town of Republic, Washington is being evacuated due to wildfires. It's crazy up here in WA. Thousands evacuated, 600+ square miles burned so far. Keep all those folks and the firefighters in your thoughts.

I'm not a praying man, and my red card (firefighting certification) is expired 4 years now, so I'm feeling pretty helpless and frustrated.

Stay safe man. I have a few wildland FF friends that just made their way to WA to help out.

Surprisingly, we've had a pretty quiet fire season here in CO, but we've been watching that WA smoke blow through for weeks.

Wildland used to be my life. I miss those days. I hate to see loss but big fires can be a good time. Lots of adventure out in the woods for long periods.

Here's to those guys and gals out busting their asses.

It was pretty thick here a few days ago. Today it's still hazy and smokey. This is the worst things have gotten in recent memory.

Good vibes being sent to all those affected and working to fight it.

Luckily the Soda Fire near Boise was contained. Northern Idaho was hit hard though. Stay safe up there!

Wildland used to be my life. I miss those days. I hate to see loss but big fires can be a good time. Lots of adventure out in the woods for long periods.

Here's to those guys and gals out busting their asses.

Did it for a summer and was one of the best times of my life making new brothers and sisters and learning the meaning of hard work.

I can't imagine the exhaustion these men and women are feeling after working 30+ hour shifts before getting breaks at times.

I feel for ya man. We've had smoke so thick, you couldn't even see the length of a residential block; we've had worse though. Hope the WX Gods send some rain your way & your town is spared. Wildland firefighters have one of the toughest jobs ever, I appreciate their hard work and sacrifices & hope they get a break soon.
Regards, GF.

Just spent a week backpacking in the North Cascades. Encountered this on the third day at Ross Lake:

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

On Saturday all of the smoke you guys have up there funneled into Portland metro. It was crazy. Couldn't see hills a few hundred feet away etc.

The wind blew it back up the gorge yesterday. Our air quality in pullman was listed as hazardous. I can't bring myself to complain about my air when there's people losing their homes though. Nothing an extra beer in front of the air filter can't cure :mug:

Back