Washing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finny13

Reaction score
Well after watching a few vids on youtube and reading through some threads on this website I decided to wash some yeast from my last IPA. I believe i used too much water (3/4 pints) when washing which left me with a ton of liquid of my growler. Im also not sure if I got a lot of good yeast or if its just too tough to see whats good and whats not. It doesn't look like i have real dark junk like I saw in some of the other threads but if you look close you can see a slight difference.

Tell me what you think, did I get some good yeast? Or lots of junk it a small amount of the good stuff?

http://twitpic.com/3nawat

I can't see your pic, but typically when you wash yeast you end up with a lot of liquid on top and a small amount of slurry on the bottom.

3nawat

Looks good. The bottom of your jar has trub (looks tan in the picture) and then just at the top you can see a white creamy looking layer. That's your yeast. If you have some more containers handy swirl that one up and get everything mixed up. Wait about 10-20 minutes. You'll start to see the trub layer start to settle again. Gently pour off the liquid into another container. From here you can wait another 10-20 minutes and pour into a smaller container (I store mine in pint-sized mason jars) or you can leave it in the container you just poured it into. Make sure the container is filled all the way to the top so no air pocket remains.

Nice job for your first attempt.

Latest posts

Back