Washing yeast infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
Hey guys, its my first try on attempting to wash yeast. First of all i want to say that my beer is not infected (still in secondary). All my tools were properly washed and sanitized. Well thats what I think! And I followed a guy on youtube step by step.

It really looks weird with the small bubbles on top. I just want to know what you all think of this. Should I dump it?

Forgot to say its Irish ale Wyeast.

image-1486909651.jpg

image-1260395407.jpg

how long from emptying primary to washing did you take? I would believe it takes days for the bacteria to take hold and show its self unless it was already noticeable in your primary. If other beleive to be infected yeast I would dump it.

Even healthy yeast can produce some funky looking (and smelling) fermentation. My advice would be to make a big starter and see how that turns out (does it smell bad, taste bad etc) before you decide to try your washed yeast on a full batch.

The yeast cake was open air (well, lid on) for a maximum of 15-20 minutes I would say. It smells weird but not like an infection. Just not the same smell as the beer. And the taste is not altered.

I will try a 1L starter, we'll see how it goes. If it is infected, it should show on the starter I guess.

Back