Washing/Harvesting Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yacov327

Reaction score
So I washed the yeast from my BIAB IPA, brewed on the 12th, after I racked into secondary today (the 19th). Took four mason jars worth and dumped the rest.

After doing this I found this article and felt like a fool.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/yeast-harvesting-novel-approach.html

But I'll try out my yeast anyway and see how it goes.

My questions is this: How much yeast is in each of these mason jars? I'll post another picture once they have completely settled out.

File_000 (1).jpg

So when the online calculators are talking about "slurry" they are referring to the white on the bottom of these jars? Not the trub left in the primary after racking?

Here is an updated picture from this morning. I assume I'll make a starter from these jars. Will one jar have enough viable yeast to produce in a 2 liter starter? How long should I give such a starter to fully mature?

File_000.jpg

You have collected a lot of yeast in the bottom of those jars. I would use the yeast from one jar for any beer with an OG up to 1.040 or two of those jars for anything with an OG up to 1.065. For higher OG's I would use one of them and make a starter.

Back