Washed yeast I used

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenoglass

Not only do I brew but I play ukulele!
Reaction score
So I had some wlp 380 I washed. I pitched it into my roggenbier I made yesterday. I see no airlock activity. I know that's not an indicator of fermentation but i don't even see a krausen? I have a .5 left of rye LME should I make a starter for some more of the wlp I got or let it ride?? If I do use the rye what measurements do I use for a starter? This is my first time doing a starter and reusing yeast. Thanks.

So I had some wlp 380 I washed. I pitched it into my roggenbier I made yesterday. I see no airlock activity. I know that's not an indicator of fermentation but i don't even see a krausen? I have a .5 left of rye LME should I make a starter for some more of the wlp I got or let it ride?? If I do use the rye what measurements do I use for a starter? This is my first time doing a starter and reusing yeast. Thanks.

How much did you have after you washed?
How much did you pitch?
How old was it?
Did you make a starter before pitching?
Did this yeast take off after 24 hours originally or was it longer?
Do you have more you can pitch?
How many hours has it been since you pitched yeast?

How much did you have after you washed?
How much did you pitch?
How old was it?
Did you make a starter before pitching?
Did this yeast take off after 24 hours originally or was it longer?
Do you have more you can pitch?
How many hours has it been since you pitched yeast?

I had about a half inch of yeast in the bottom of a mason jar
I pitched that plus the beer/water that was in the 1/2 filled pint
It was only a couple weeks old
Did not make a starter as I only made a 2.5 gallon batch
I noticed a little activity but I had to work. I also moved it to my basement as my house was real warm. When I came home I noticed the wort cooled down some and the airlock was going in the reverse way I brought it to a half way point hoping to help it.
I do have another jar to pitch but wasn't sure if I should do a starter with the LME of rye I have?
It's also been just under 24 hrs but this is the longest I have gone without seeing any activity on a beer.

Hope that helps out some....

A half inch of yeast in a pint jar could be about 25 milliliters. I estimate 2 billion cells per ml in my harvested yeast. Rough estimate, you pitched 50 billion cells. I would expect you will be seeing fermentation activity soon.

What was the OG of the beer?
What is the temperature of the beer?

Last edited:
A half inch of yeast in a pint jar could be about 25 milliliters. I estimate 2 billion cells per ml in my harvested yeast. Rough estimate, you pitched 50 billion cells. I would expect you will be seeing fermentation activity soon.

What was the OG of the beer?

1.056, thanks, fingers crossed. Its for my beer clubs monthly comp so I hope it goes well. I did also throw the OG wort into the mason jar to maybe do a forced ferment test. I checked that this am and it was at 1.054 granted my test has no stir plate for it but I hope that gives me hope that the yeast in the batch will be working soon if not already have started....

I had about a half inch of yeast in the bottom of a mason jar
I pitched that plus the beer/water that was in the 1/2 filled pint
It was only a couple weeks old
Did not make a starter as I only made a 2.5 gallon batch
I noticed a little activity but I had to work. I also moved it to my basement as my house was real warm. When I came home I noticed the wort cooled down some and the airlock was going in the reverse way I brought it to a half way point hoping to help it.
I do have another jar to pitch but wasn't sure if I should do a starter with the LME of rye I have?
It's also been just under 24 hrs but this is the longest I have gone without seeing any activity on a beer.

Hope that helps out some....

It does because it will help everyone else give you a solid answer faster. Sometimes yeast just decides to hang out a while before taking off. It might be a smoother fermentation. I've pitched unwashed yeast from a quart mason jar and hit my attenuation perfectly so I don't bother washing anymore. I have one jar from a once used and one from a twice used. The once used I'd make a 1L starter for but the twice used I'd pitch straight because I think it has more cells.

I think your brew will take off while you're sleeping tonight and you won't have any problems. The first time is always the one you worry the most about. After that you just pitch the yeast and wait two weeks. :mug:

I went out tonight and got home to full activity in the airlock. I think it was the colder temps in the basement and that was the problem. Thanks all for the advise. Next time I will wait 48 hrs before I worry. I plan on saving this cake as well!!

I had a slow start t a batch as well here in Jersey, I'm thinking the cold temps in my basement? What temp is your wort?

I brought it back up stairs in the afternoon and I think it got upto 68. I made a half batch and the thermometer is too high on my fermentor.

Back