washed yeast floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
This is WLP007 washed from a IIPA. I used some whole hops in this recipe but I can't tell if that's what I'm looking at. These jars have been in the fridge for a month. Should I be worried? All 4 jars have the mysterious floaties and they were there from the beginning, so they didn't grow in there.

IMG953616.jpg

I cant tell from the pics, but whenever I am in doubt, I throw it out...LOL!!! Better to be out 6 bucks for yeast then 30 or more for a whole batch!

those are cells that have bursted, its a good chance that those bursts made off flavors, without lab analysis it would be hard to verify. i would not chance it personally

It turns out it was just some hop debris that made it in to the jars (I used some whole hops in that batch). I actually pitched a starter that I made from that yeast today. The starter grew quickly and seemed very healthy. It passed the "smell test" so I pitched it.

Back