Was it because I squeezed the bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
I just tasted my wort, a pretty standard wheat which I'll add raspberry to and it's very bitter and tannin, like sucking on a tea bag. I strained the hops out in a nylon bag and I admit, I squeezed the bag. I tasted the portion that I used to take the gravity, in the cylinder I noticed a lot of sediment that looked like hops particles. Is this what made the horrible taste? It will settle out right?

It'll change considerably during fermentation. Tannins tend to be a result of using hot sparge water or over sparging.

Even though you squeezed the bag I don't think it will end up making THAT much of a difference. Just give it a few weeks, it will more than likely mellow out. What part of your boil did you add the hops and at what point did you squeeze the bag?

I always find my wort to be an unplesant bitter compared to the final product. It will mellow out and the fruit will cover up alot. RDWHAHB. All is well!

Yep. I made a dunkelweizen and after 4 days in the bottle, I wanted to try one...Was really bitter.
I cracked one last night, and it was MUCH better...Still a little bitter, it needs some more conditioning time, but I could taste the potential!

You get tannins from squeezing the GRAIN bag not the hop bag. It just needs time to taste right. Unless you squeezed the grain bag as well.

Forrest

Back