Warsteienr Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
OK, I found a supposed Warsteienr Clone recipe in extract form:

6.60 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract
0.50 lb Munich Malt
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt
2.01 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops
0.33 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (15 min) Hops
1 Pkgs Pilsen Lager (Wyeast Labs #2007) Yeast-Lager

According to Beersmith, the color is 5.3 (style 2.0~5.0) and the bitterness is low at 12.3 IBU (style 25~45 IBUs). SO, Using Beersmith I adjusted the color to 4.5 and the bitterness to 25 IBU's and got this:

6.71 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract
0.08 lb Munich Malt
0.06 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt
4.08 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops
0.67 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00%] (15 min) Hops
1 Pkgs Pilsen Lager (Wyeast Labs #2007) Yeast-Lager

My question is, for an extract recipe, which do you think is more inline with a true Warsteiner Premium Verum?

-Todd

I think I'd go with the first one. I'm not a steeper and don't know, but would .08lb and .06lb of malt really do much? I'd go with the first recipe using light Munich malt and 10L Crystal malt if you can find it, 20L if you can't. I've been brewing a pale ale with 2-row, light Munich (~10L), Crystal 20L, and wheat that isn't much darker than Warsteiner based on my often flawed recollection (supposedly mine comes in ~7-8 SRM).

I'd go with the 2nd receipe. Warsteiner does not have a malty note, which you will get from the Munic and the Crystal. I was even surprised to see this in the receipe. Go with the 20+ IBU. A Pils is usually more on the bitter side.

This is what you are aiming for:
http://unternehmen.warsteiner.de/index_produkte.php
(I'm not sure if they have an english page)

Giving it a second look, the first receipe looks more like a Helles Muenchner to me (Munic Helles).

I'd drop the Munich and Crystal completely and use 1lb Cara Pils and maybe even 1lb pils malt (which is actually the base malt) if you want to steep grains.

Edit:
I stand corrected, there is no Munich Malt or any other malt that results in a malty note, in a Munich Helles either. Maerzen (e.g. Oktoberfest) would be a better category for the recipe 1

Kai said:
I'd go with the 2nd receipe. Warsteiner does not have a malty note, which you will get from the Munic and the Crystal. I was even surprised to see this in the receipe. Go with the 20+ IBU. A Pils is usually more on the bitter side.

This is what you are aiming for:
http://unternehmen.warsteiner.de/index_produkte.php
(I'm not sure if they have an english page)

Giving it a second look, the first receipe looks more like a Helles Muenchner to me (Munic Helles).

I'd drop the Munich and Crystal completely and use 1lb Cara Pils and maybe even 1lb pils malt (which is actually the base malt) if you want to steep grains.

Thanks for the input, this is exactly what I was looking for. I want to try and tackle a good Warsteiner clone as my first lager.

I'm pretty sure BYO had a Warsteiner clone in an issue about 3-4 months back. I'll see if I can find it when I get home; I didn't see it on their website.

Kai said:

Cara Pils malt is also known as Dextrine malt.

homer, rhoo, i found it!
OG 1.046 fg 1.009
ibu 33 srm 4 abv 4.8%
1.35 lbs coopers extra light dried malt extract
3.75 lbs weyermann bavarian pilsner liquide malt extract (late addition)
1.7 lbs pilsner malt
0.25 lbs carapils malt
0.48 oz magnum hops 60 min 6.65 aau
0.5 oz tettnang hops 15 min 2 aau
0.5 oz hallertau-hersbrucker hops 15 min 2 aau
0.25 oz hallertau-hersbrucker hops 0 min
0.25 oz saaz hops 0 min
1 tsp irish moss 15 min
wyeast bohemian lager or white labs german lager
7/8 cup corn sugar for priming

from Brew Your Own May-June 2005, vol 11 no 3
:D

HomerT said:
How is the late addition handled? Sorry if thats a stupid question.
A lot of recipes call for adding LME for the last 15 minutes of the boil. This prevents it from darkening up too much as LME is wont to do. So just dump it in for the last 15 minutes and stir really well as you add it so it doesn't torpedo to the bottom of your pot and burn.

Thanks for the receipe. That's pretty much how I would have expected it.

HomerT, the LME is added late in order to avoid darken the color of the beer by carmelizing the LME during the boil. You should add it 15-10min before the end of the boil. Make sure you turn the burner off when you add the LME and untill the LME is completely dissolved.

Back