Warrior Test Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
Having 1/2 an oz of Warrior left over from an IPA recipe I made I had initially intended to put it in my dry hop just to use it. Instead I have decided to make a small test batch of a pale to see just what Warrior tastes like. This is what I've created:

1.75 gal partial mash.

1.25 lbs golden light LME (FO)
.75 lb 2-row
.5 lb soft white wheat berries
.25 lb crystal 20
.25 lb crystal 40
1 oz carafoam
.1 oz Warrior @ 60 mins
.2 oz Warrior @ 20/5 mins
US-05

1.053/1.011
5.5% ABV
41 IBU's
8 SRM

Since nobody had used it for anything other than bittering, and the guess is that it just wouldn't add much flavor/aroma, I decided to see just what it provides.

I'll be moving in June/July, and so this will be my last brew session until after I'm settled in, and I just don't care to save opened hops more than a month as I don't know how much they'll deteriorate over time after being opened.

I've decided to make it a 2 gal batch instead as 41 IBU's is fairly high, and if it isn't so good it will be a bit much to handle.

So I'll add 1/4 lb of LME, 1 oz of carafoam, and 1 oz to each crystal malt, which keeps the numbers the same except drops the IBU's to 36.

I found this description of Warrior:

Similar to a Nugget or Columbus, this hop is great in IPA's and Pale Ales. It has a very smooth bitterness for the amount of alpha acid in there, so don't let the smooth taste fool you! Would also be a good flavor hop, but the aroma is a bit subtle.

Good way to learn hops. Often people do a smash brew (single hop single malt) to keep it simple and learn the character of the hop and a malt.

ive used warrior late, like the description said, its fairly mild, with a light citrus, but not really grapefruit. on its own it'll probably be a lil underwhelming

I recently had an all Columbus IPA. which was fairly good. I'm hoping it may be similar.

Back