Warning signs of homebrew addiction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When another batch of home brew you fridged a week or more ago is finally ready to drink. You just can't wait for evening to get to'em. So you pacify yourself by openning another tab to order more ingredients.

When your wife tells you your town has a water main break, and they issued a boil advisory. You start giggling maniacally because you know you can fire up the brew kettle and have 5 gallons boiling in 15 minutes.

*que the Northern Brewer Apocolypse Homebrewer commercial*

When your standard bathroom checklist has your iPhone @ the top of it so you can check HBT for updates while on the can.

The 7th grade science class at my school is starting a compost pile. The class who brings in the most compost material by weight before the end of next week wins a pizza party. My 7th grade reading students are now competing for the right to my spent grain from this weekend's brew, its a 15 pound grain bill too! Most kids have been bringing in coffee grinds and banana peels, which ever one of my students wins will looks like a hero to their class. Obviously I did not explain where the grain comes from they just know that they are getting a bucket of compost material that is between 15 and 20 pounds. Not sure if working brewing into one's day job is a sign of addiction but I think its pretty cool. I also like the compost pile idea, I know where my spent grain is going once I make our lab some treats. I wonder if in return I can get a microscope for the weekend in return to look at my beer.

When you start using brew terms in everyday non-brewing situations, like telling my wife she needs to "cold crash" the pasta in the refrigerator, and when mashing potatoes takes on a whole new meaning...

When you look for a better coffee maker to get one with a good mash temp. Or when you are boiling pasta,waiting right there for the hot break.

When you're like a kid waiting for Christmas knowing your latest hord of HB ingredients will arrive in 2 or 3 days. And you start making sure everything is clean & ready.

Two nights ago I tossed and turned because it was too hot in my bed - swmbo had her electric blanket on. When I woke up I remembered that in my dream I was a fermentation vessel and kept trying to escape the warm temperatures and find a cooler spot for better fermentation.

I think there's something wrong with me. I need to brew immediately.

I hope you didn't krausen the sheets!

When a thermometer accuracy rating of 2F is not accurate enough for you. Even for going down a thermowell into your fermenting brew.

Also when a stick-on thermometer simply won't do anymore. After all, it won't tell you what the temperature in the middle of the brew is. It's especially suspect when you ferment in stainless steel.

Then you go about modifying your sanke keg fermenters so that you can use a ball lock QD to push CO2 in for transferring into serving corny kegs.

Of course, you salivate when thinking about brewing something epic... Like a 20%+ barley wine/braggot... You then work to make a keggle so that you can actually boil off enough to get to the OG you desire at your normal volume (6.5g into primary). :rockin:

When you start to wonder if there are any benefits for your plumbing with all the PBW that gets dumped down your bathtub and sink drains.

I swear drains don't clog as often anymore...

When I have to go to the plumbing supply house I walk through the sanitary stainless parts and think of all the posobilaty. Then call and check sheet stainless to see if the price has dropped in the past two weeks cause I really want to build a conical

When your wife comes up with new beers befor you. And gives you extra money to go but more grain with.

You wake up realizing you were having a dream about going to a seminar on beer and you recognized people there from this site. (Having never met any of you)
Brew Pastor started us off with a prayer and I'm not sure why yooper had on an uncle sam costume that was bedazzeled.

This hobby is getting to me.

Woke up last night from a yeast dream. My starter wasn't working went down to my brewery and realized all my carboys were full and blow off tubes were rocking

At 9 AM on brew day you ask, "Is it too early to buy beer?"

AND

At 10 AM on brew day you ask, "Is it too early to have a beer?"

HAHA! I've been asking those same questions... but for me it's 7am and 8am :drunk:

I often bottle my beer early Sunday mornings - just seems to be the best time. But when I take that last gravity reading at 7am, I always think to myself "if I drink this sample beer now, does that make me an alcoholic?"

The answer si always no. And the bit of beer in the morning is a good wake-up for the liver from the night before.

I often bottle my beer early Sunday mornings - just seems to be the best time. But when I take that last gravity reading at 7am, I always think to myself "if I drink this sample beer now, does that make me an alcoholic?"

The answer si always no. And the bit of beer in the morning is a good wake-up for the liver from the night before.

:off:
I frequently enjoy a good citrusy hefeweizen with breakfast. Must be my German blood or something.

You stop at Home Depot on your way to work at 715am to purchase a cooler and all the necessary parts to make an MLT, even though you can't brew AG yet because you only a 5g kettle.

Yeah, you're way beyond help union. I don't know if I have ever seen your logged on button turn blue and with 8000+ posts in less than a year I doubt it ever has been.... phew

Yeah way beyond help union. I don't know if I have ever seen your logged on button turn blue and with 8000+ posts in less than a year I doubt it ever has been.... phew

Just real late at night when no one notices...;) It's just a better hobby that's less expensive than tuner cars. But in all fairness my lil tuner is stil languishing in a body shop waiting to get done. Money doesn't talk any more,insurance does!
Besides,I feel like it's good to help folks when they need it if I can. And I can drink home brew & shots while doing so. Now if the son would get movin walkin on for vodka smokes & kerosine,we could...Dang I need my car back.
Here's a pic of my class winner before the deer hit; http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/unionrdr/midwest%20mazdafest%202010/IMG_5661.jpg

Ok,try it now. when I post a link on here,sometimes it doubles the "http://" thing to look like "http://http://". And in 2 different places in the body of the actual link string. Fixed it.

Very cool man, I'm surprised you didn't drive underneath deer with that thing.

...when you are embarrassed to have an empty carboy with nothing planned for it.

...when you are tempted to offer money (low ball) to any one of the construction guys you around town, that have a large circular Igloo container strapped to their truck...in hopes to use it for your mash tun.

When your wife texts you pictures of the 2 lbs of hops that had arrived earlier in the mail.....they are beutiful! Almost made me cry.

beerloaf

You see that show on tv with mormon poligimy guy with 5 wives and 5 houses and think damn that dude could brew like 1000 gals a year. Lol

HopHead209 said:
You see that show on tv with mormon poligimy guy with 5 wives and 5 houses and think damn that dude could brew like 1000 gals a year. Lol

Damn that's funny!

When you have dreams about brewing. Had one the other day where someone took off my airlock and I couldn't make my arms work to put it back on.

Krane said:
When you have dreams about brewing. Had one the other day where someone took off my airlock and I couldn't make my arms work to put it back on.

That's hardcore.

A rotating temporarily empty corny keg has become a permanent fixture in your bathroom.

Back