Warm weather yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any ale yeasts that are sort of happy working from 75-85 degrees?

If not I'm gonna have to build one of those Son of Fermenter boxes.

Most straight ale yeasts cap out by 75F...

There are a few Belgian yeasts that go above 75F (more than just 77F)...

Like Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724 and Roeselare Ale 3763... To get at least into the 75+ range you're going to be rather limited in what yeast you can use... Better to make a fermentation chamber out of a chest freezer with a Johnson controller on it... Having that will expand what you can brew and when... I plan on making one as soon as possible (a few more things need to line up before that happens) so that I'm not held hostage by the weather.

Im planning on just purring my bucket in a tub of cold water to keep it low. I got a plastic beer pail for 5 bucks at target which should create enough thermal Mass to keep it cool

The only yeast that comes to mind is Saison at those temperatures.

Have at look at the strain guides:

White Labs

Wyeast

There are at least half a dozen from each company that are reccomended for 75F. If you went up to 77 with them it would not be the end of the world. Just expect more estery flavours. If you can keep it to 75F there are still lots to choose from.

For what it's worth, I wrap my fermenter (i have a bucket as well as a car boy) in a beach towel, and every 2 or 3 days I pour cold water over it to soak the towel. According to my dig. thermometer, evaporation keeps the towel at 65 when the house temp is 72. By the way I figure, that keeps the ferm temp down to the upper 60's low 70's.

For what it's worth, I wrap my fermenter (i have a bucket as well as a car boy) in a beach towel, and every 2 or 3 days I pour cold water over it to soak the towel. According to my dig. thermometer, evaporation keeps the towel at 65 when the house temp is 72. By the way I figure, that keeps the ferm temp down to the upper 60's low 70's.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try something cheep first. It's 80 in the shade now I floated a thermo in the wort and it was 76 so I'm still good there after 7 days on the Cooper's Wheat Beer.

That wet towel might work for another month or so :)

Latest posts

Back