Warm Climate Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rthbrew

Reaction score
I live in a warm climate and I don't have a spare fridge to ferment in. Does anyone have any inexpensive techinques for lowering my fermentation temp. Right now I ferment in a closet that's +/- 78 degrees F.

Thanks!

Easy as pie.

You know those big round plastic tubs with rope handles that you usually either see on horse farms (for feed) or frat parties (for kegs)? Get one of those.

Then, get 5 or 6 one-gallon or two-liter plastic bottles and fill them mostly with water. Put them in the freezer ahead of time so that they're frozen. When it comes time to pitch your yeast, put the carboy/bucket into the big tub and add 2 or 3 of the frozen bottles. Then add enough water to the tub that it comes most of the way up on the level of the wort. You can add or remove water bottles to regulate your temps. And make sure you have a fermometer (stick-on strip thermometer) on your carboy/bucket, because you can easily get it too cold with this method.

You could also try a yeast that fements at a higher temperature. There are several. Just go to Wyeat or White Labs web site and check out the properties of different yeasts.

I'm doing a couple "Farmhouse" style ales using a Saison yeast. My fermentation temps were in the mid 80's.

You can use a large cooler on its side ( so it resembles a refridgerator) and your carboy and ice. I used a couple of 500 ml bottles frozen and was able to get the temp down to ale fermenation temps no prob. Not as well as using a water bath, but also not as messy. If you just need to drop the temp down a bit, this is a great way. - Dirk I am in southern California, just to give you an idea of my climate and temps.

Evan! said:
Easy as pie.

You know those big round plastic tubs with rope handles that you usually either see on horse farms (for feed) or frat parties (for kegs)? Get one of those.

Then, get 5 or 6 one-gallon or two-liter plastic bottles and fill them mostly with water. Put them in the freezer ahead of time so that they're frozen. When it comes time to pitch your yeast, put the carboy/bucket into the big tub and add 2 or 3 of the frozen bottles. Then add enough water to the tub that it comes most of the way up on the level of the wort. You can add or remove water bottles to regulate your temps. And make sure you have a fermometer (stick-on strip thermometer) on your carboy/bucket, because you can easily get it too cold with this method.

this works really well, and you can also wrap a t-shirt around it to extend the cooling/evaporative power of the water higher up the fermenter. just don't get your fermometer wet, or you'll ruin it.

Also a bathtub half full of water, put your carboy in the tub, then put a t-shirt over the carboy and let the lower part hang in the water. Like mentioned above, the t-shirt will wick up the water where it will evaporate, keeping the whole carboy pretty cool.

brew,

Is there a room in your living place that you can install an air conditioner and maintain a lower ambient temperature, or do the same in whatever space you use for your brewery? I don't know how much that would affect your electricity bill but it could be worth a try.

I thing a AC would maintain just about the right temperature for most primary home-brewing. May I add it makes the work space so much more pleasant when working in the home brewery.

Papillon said:
brew,

Is there a room in your living place that you can install an air conditioner and maintain a lower ambient temperature, or do the same in whatever space you use for your brewery? I don't know how much that would affect your electricity bill but it could be worth a try.

I thing a AC would maintain just about the right temperature for most primary home-brewing. May I add it makes the work space so much more pleasant when working in the home brewery.
This would be my first choice but unfortunately I just don't have a good place to do it! Thanks though!

Latest posts

Back