Warm BMC Nastiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
What is it about BMC that requires cold temps to make it palatable? Why is it so horrible when it warms up?

Dunno... I feel like Busch Light loses it's aluminum aftertaste when it's too warm, which is really the best part.

Not sure why there's another thread about this honestly... I'll play beer pong with a warm BMC any day though. It's good party havoc beer.

I'd have to say that my palate is certainly lacking for clarification on many flavor profiles. For instance many Belgian beers I taste bubblegum in to SWMBO just has a Belgian taste to it, and she does not find it bubblegummy at all, not did a home brewer friend I had over. Taste is obviously different.

I've not had a lager lately, since moving away from BMC type beers, that tasted horrible if it wasn't served ice cold. So I'm guessing that it's the adjucants used or maybe their yeast strains, or maybe something else that requires those beers to be served cold whereas other beers (mostly ales for me) aren't an issue.

When I was a Bud drinker I had to put my beer in the freezer for 20 mins because the store's refrigerator never had it cold enough to pop a top as soon as I got home. It would become horrible too soon, and this was before I realized that there was better beer available.

"Not sure why there's another thread about this honestly..."

I didn't see it. But I can't say I looked hard either. Sorry.

[snip] When I was a Bud drinker I had to put my beer in the freezer for 20 mins because the store's refrigerator never had it cold enough to pop a top as soon as I got home. It would become horrible too soon, and this was before I realized that there was better beer available.

I don't think you were drinking it fast enough, there's a big difference between slamming BMCs and savoring a home or craft brew.

I've never just sipped on a Busch Light and said, wow... the malt and hops are really well balanced. I just drink it in 4 minutes and reach for another, like God intended.

BMC still has its place for me.

I've rarely slammed them unless there was a bet on who could down it faster. Had a foolish guy bet me $20 that I couldn't drink mine (had about 1 1/2 beers in a glass) faster than his from a bottle. I took that bet and went home with his $20.

Never been into the light beers. It was either Bud or MGD. And mine went down closer to 20 mins or so if I wasn't distracted.

BMC no longer has a place for me. But I'll accept it if it's offered.

Every time I visit my parents, I take a build your own six pack of craft beers and make my dad try one. No matter what, he still goes back to that damn Coors Light. Warm or cold. He could let it sit in the sun while he swims and still go back to it with a big smile. I just don't get it.

"BMC no longer has a place for me."

I'll brew up a honey wheat, blonde, or cream ale if I want something lighter. But I certainly wouldn't choose something that lacks a nice flavor and requires me to chill it to <35* and then guzzle. That's fine for anyone else, but not me. It's like going to Mc Donalds when I can grill my own.

I went on a hunting trip last year with a few die-hard Coors Light drinkers, so that was mostly all we had in the coolers. Don't get me wrong, I'll drink Coors Light if Coors Light is all there is to drink, and it's adequate for getting ****-faced out in the woods.

By the end of the weekend, the deer camp was absolutely littered with half-full cans of Coors. Dozens of 'em. I was a bit bewildered, as I never leave a beer unfinished.

They all defended their actions by saying something to the affect of "well when you don't drink 'em fast enough and they start to get warm, they're no good anymore, so you gotta open up a fresh one." This practice is alien to me.

My only comment was "maybe try switching to a beer that doesn't taste like urine when it rises over 33°F."

"Not sure why there's another thread about this honestly..."

I didn't see it. But I can't say I looked hard either. Sorry.

Apologize for nothing. Start two more threads on the subject. Win HBT.

My only comment was "maybe try switching to a beer that doesn't taste like urine when it rises over 33°F."

We have ourselves a winner!

"Don't get me wrong, I'll drink Coors Light if Coors Light is all there is to drink..."

Exactly. My old boss keeps Bud Light or Miller High Life around all the time. Not my thing even when I drank BMC, but if it's what's at the shop after quitting time it's what I'm having, though I did often recall a trip to the gas station was in order on the way back.

Some of the darker ones are drinkable warm.

In college I kept a 6-pack of Pabst "bock" stubbies in my room unrefrigerated, because it tasted okay warm but the upperclassmen didn't know that -- so they left it alone.

I'm still at a loss for why BMC tastes terrible when it warms up.

Actually... now that you mentioned McDonalds in comparison.. That reminds me of someone that used to say "That's cold McDonalds" when he disapproved of something. When asked why, he would say "Because there is nothing worse than cold McDonalds".

I think it mostly has to do with the loss of carbonation, which is a major component of the mouthfeel of this beer. Secondly, as the beer warms up what little hop bitterness it has is accentuated, combined with a accentuated perception of the carbonic acid bite, and throws off the "balance" of this beer. The adjuncts may have a part in this, but I am not sure how much. Rancidity of the adjunct oils maybe.

And finally, it's just not as refreshing. Which is 90% of what this beer has going for it. Like a warm glass of water is not nearly as enjoyable as an ice cold glass.

"I think it mostly has to do with the loss of carbonation, which is a major component of the mouthfeel of this beer."

It wasn't very good to me when it was just opened but store refrigerator cold. I had a timer set for 20 mins so that I didn't end up with a slushy.

Maybe I ought to find a clone recipe and attempt to brew something like an ale version of it to see what I get.

I've rarely slammed them unless there was a bet on who could down it faster. Had a foolish guy bet me $20 that I couldn't drink mine (had about 1 1/2 beers in a glass) faster than his from a bottle. I took that bet and went home with his $20.

Never been into the light beers. It was either Bud or MGD. And mine went down closer to 20 mins or so if I wasn't distracted.

BMC no longer has a place for me. But I'll accept it if it's offered.

Ahhhh college. Not sure why you feel drinking more beer faster proves your masculinity. But I never lost a beer-shotgun race :rockin: :D

Ahhhh college. Not sure why you feel drinking more beer faster proves your masculinity. But I never lost a beer-shotgun race :rockin: :D

Yeah.... and the guy who drinks MORE and FASTER usually wakes up with a Sharpie penis drawn on his forehead!

I guess I can still drink Bud, Miller, Coors and Bush...... but I'll never pay for them!;)

Yeah.... and the guy who drinks MORE and FASTER usually wakes up with a Sharpie penis drawn on his forehead!

I guess I can still drink Bud, Miller, Coors and Bush...... but I'll never pay for them!;)

I suspect I'll stop drinking Busch Light when I get a decent pipeline of home brew going, but if I drank as much craft brew as I do just beer in general, I would be in the "pour" house (see what I did there?).

17 bucks for a 30 back is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

On average my 12 pack of homebrew costs similar to a 12 pack of Bud, and I love hops! I could cut the cost further by doing all-grain batches, but they'd have to smaller batches as I can't handle much more than 6.5lbs at a time.

A simple blonde, wheat, or cream ale ought to get you close to that cost.

I'm not worried about the cost of my home brews yet, just want to get to a point where I can switch to drinking them almost exclusively.

I can brew a blonde ale at 4.8% ABV with 21 IBU's for $6.41/12 pack.

3 lbs LME $8.55
3 lbs 2-row (milled) $4.19
1 lb crystal (milled) $1.74
1/2 lb carapils (milled) $1.12
2 oz Willamette $2.49
1 pack US-05 $3.49
3 muslin bags $2.25
50 bottle caps $1.79

Total is $25.62

Reused yeast and reusable hop bags can drop the price as would all-grain. So would 1 oz of hops instead, but I prefer hop flavor.

Back