War! Germans vs. US vs England!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whic country has the best hops?

• US

• England

• Germany

Results are only viewable after voting.
The thing is now that most varieties are grow internationally.

If you mean originated from then that makes it clearer.
No need to guess as to where my vote goes. :D

Being the hophead that I am, I voted for US hops. Most of the high AA% hops that I use originated in the US (I think).

Even if they didn't, I'd vote for Germany before I voted for England. :D

orfy said:
The thing is no that most varieties are grow internationally.

If you mean originated from then that makes it clearer.
No need to guess as to where my vote goes. :D

Yes, I should have made that clear. While they can be grown anywhere, which country is NATIVE to your favorite hops?

While EKG might be my favorite hop...on the whole, there's more great varieties from the US than anywhere else.

I will decline to vote. I have only used 12 or so to date, so I must respectfully decline to answer until I have given at least twice that many a fair try.
Excellent question though, I will look forward to the results to help me decide which ones to use next.

I like 'em all, but if I had to pick only one I'd go with English. Maybe it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt with all the citrusy US varieties, but I find the English varieties (EKG, Fuggles, Challenger, Target) more interesting. Just bought a pound each of Target and EKG to weather the "shortage".

Hop history is a bit twisty. Brewers Gold is probably the only native American hop under cultivation and East Kent Goldings is Canadian! Hallertauer originated in Oregon, but might be from German stock. Perle was developed in Germany from American stock (Northern Brewer), etc. Almost all commercial Japanese hops are American- English crosses.

Back