Wanting to start first brew, but concerned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
This may sound totally rediculous, but I have my kit from midwest and just need my ingridents. The only thing really keeping me from starting my brew is taking gravity readings!! Yes, go ahead and laugh!! = (

I've read the first two chapters in Palmer's book, but where does he descriptively say how to determine the gravity? I've read misc. websites that says to pour a little wort in a glass and take the reading there, instead of directly putting the hydrometer in the wort.

Could someone please explain how I take the gravities, and when? I'm assuming after the wort is cooled to take one, but how? Do I pour a little in a seperate container and get the original reading there? How do I take additional readings without disturbing the fermentation process?

Thanks A LOT to whomever answers this question! This has been bugging me from the very beginning! Thanks again!!!

To take a gravity reading, you need a hydrometer and some sort of cylinder to test in. A wine thief works really good.

In all honesty, I wouldn't even bother with your first beer. The rest of the process is enough to worry about

Your hydrometer should have come with a little sample tube: it's kindof like an overgrown test tube.

You fill that about 3/4 of the way with wort and then float the hydrometer in there. It's very easy.

You realy only need enough liquid to make the hydrometer float (not rest on the bottom), but it's easier to read if it is 100% full when you drop the hydrometer in.

You can't take a reading during fermentation without disturbing. The easiest way is to use a sanitized turkey baster or "wine thief" to draw the liuid out to put in your smple tube.

It's really not a big deal--RDWHAHB.

One thing about hydrometers is that they do break pretty easily, so handle it with care.

rdwj said:
In all honesty, I wouldn't even bother with your first beer. The rest of the process is enough to worry about

FWIW, I understand this sentiment. But *not* using a hydrometer on my first batch would have given me even more to worry about. (Is it done fermenting? How can I tell?) I liked having the confirmation that the process really was working.

(Now, I only bother checking FG some of the time...but I also know from experience how to read the other signs of when a beer is finished.)

Also--like everything else: doing a dry run of the hydrometer with water helps with the comfort level when it comes time to do it for real. 60 ° F water should read 1.000, if your hydrometer is accurately calibrated.

Thanks for the replies! Yes I do have a hydrometer that came with the kit, just didn't know how to use it. So take an original reading when the wort is cooled. When do I take additional readings? Do you just take an original and then a final gravity reading? When you take the final, do you do it before you transfer to bottling bucket, or after? Also if there is a reading needed to be done in between, I must use a "Wine thief" correct?

Thanks for the information!

You take one after you think fermentation is done. Give it 7-10 days. Also, you need to make sure you correct for temp. You should have a printed guide that came with the hydrometer or you can look it up at the end of Palmer's book. I think there is a whole section about taking readings.

Unless you're doing all grain brewing, dont worry about the hydrometer. Yeah it can tell you alot but it can also cause you all sorts of needless worry. Keep you beer fermenting at the right temps and time will take care of the rest. A few extra days or even weeks in the fermentor wont hurt

Here's what I do, I take my OG right before I pitch my yeast. Then I take an SG when I transfer to my secondary to see where it's at. I take the FG when I go to bottle and that's pretty much it.

Only reason to take additional readings is if you are concerned about a stuck fermentation. Personally I don't like to take a lot of readings because each time you stick something in your beer you invite contamination.

Back