Want to show off my "new" bottle capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
I found this in grandfather's old shed in very rusty condition. Brought it home, showed it to hubby and said one day I want to restore it. I didn't even notice it went missing, but he brought it back to me all rust free and freshly painted.

Here are pictures before and after. The name imprinted on it is "Climax", Everedy Co. Frederick, MD. Patent #(I can't quite read) U.S.A.

Found out they started making these in 1923 and sold lots of them until 1933, then prohibition ended and people no longer were interested in making root beer. They were advertised as root beer cappers during prohibition. They sold a few after 1933 and into the 40s when the company went out of business. Since the great majority of them were produced in the 20s and early 30s, and knowing that Grandfather made moonshine, wine, and other things during that time period, I am assuming it is from that era.

:mug:

rusty.jpg

capper.jpg

Nice Job!! Does it work?

Yes, like a charm!! I was bottling air last night!! Now wish I had not just bottled, will have to wait for the next batch. Do need to get it mounted to a table first though, keep it more stable.

So identical in appearance to my grandfather's bench capper (which I use to bottle all my beer) I'm not even going to bother with a pic. He was an old Kraut who no one could ever remember taking a drink, but in 1919 he said "No g%^ d&*( government is going to tell me what I can or can't drink." He then got the equipment he needed and brewed beer and made wine out of everything imaginable until 1933. Upon repeal, he quit, much to the dismay of the neighbors, who had enjoyed the fruits of his labor. About the only thing left was the capper, which my uncle gave to me some years ago.

So identical in appearance to my grandfather's bench capper (which I use to bottle all my beer) I'm not even going to bother with a pic. He was an old Kraut who no one could ever remember taking a drink, but in 1919 he said "No g%^ d&*( government is going to tell me what I can or can't drink." He then got the equipment he needed and brewed beer and made wine out of everything imaginable until 1933. Upon repeal, he quit, much to the dismay of the neighbors, who had enjoyed the fruits of his labor. About the only thing left was the capper, which my uncle gave to me some years ago.

I bet there are tons of great stories about these cappers. As I am pushing down on it, I wonder what types of beers they made, which were their best, yeah, probably made with anything available or that would grow in the area. Also planning to use it for all my bottling from now on.

That's close to the one my father had. don't know what became of it though. Guess I'll have to make due with the super agata I just bought. Def seems to have solved my carbonation problem...

Wow that is exactly like the capper I got from my grandad too! Mine wasn't as rusted when I got it but it now looks pretty good. I left the moving parts unpainted and keep them oiled, but the handle / base as the same red too. Got new springs for it as the old ones had gone slack and now it is so much better.
Best to get it mounted, mine is still free standing but it is a 2 handed operation to cap bottles!

That is really fantastic. I like the idea that you're carrying on the tradition with his equipment. It'd be cool to keep passing it on. How many gallons of alcohol will it bottle? No one knows except the capper. Great job on the reconditioning too.

I have and use that exact same model Climax capper. Stamp bottom half says "patented, made in USA" no number. Thanks for the history on it, I got mine at a garage sale.

Stamp bottom half says "patented, made in USA" no number.

Oh, and thanks for that info. I was only able to make out Patent......U.S.A on mine, but looking again and knowing what it says, I can now barely make out the rest.

Good to see new life given to that capper.
I have the same exact one. I knew the nicest old woman for years and when she moved after her husband died she gave me all their old wine and beer making equipment. Along with the capper I got a few carboys, a couple very old hydrometers still in the tube they were mailed in decades ago with old stamps on it, and their personal recipe book with batch dates and notes. It was neat to read through. I don't use the capper that much since I'm actually faster using my wing capper, but I do have some bottles where the wing capper doesn't work too well so I bring out the old capper and it does the trick.

I don't have the same exact one, but I have a couple that are from the same era. They don't look nearly as nice as yours, but they do work!

Not sure where we got them, I'll have to ask my husband if he remembers.

Back