Want to convert an aircon into a fermenter cooler or "cellar" cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GQT

Reaction score
We are going to replace two aircons next week. Both are mechanically fine and no problem with pipes and all that whatever there is inside. Control units are long gone though.
One of them is really very little used and nearly immaculate, except for the controls (this is the one I think I want to keep).
Both are discontinued and unsupported.

Now, the question is,
Would it be possible for a guy that has less than zero understanding of cooling equipment to cut out the control unit and somehow install simple semi-manual controls? All I want is to leave the outside unit hang where it is, and replace the inside unit with a simple heat exchanger (maybe as simple as a copper coil in a bucket of water) to cool down the agent that I would use to cool down the fermenters?
I'm good at soldering and petty handyman's jobs but never put my hands on fridges/condies.

Alternatively, I might make a roughly 1m^3 (27 ft^3) foam crate and use it as a cellar for maturing my brews.

Whatever I decide to make out of it, I will still need to fully replace the faulty control block with some sort of third-party controller, and seriously modify the room unit.

Any advice?
(I will double post this question in Equipment/Sanitation section of the forum, pls don't take it as spamming).

Post pics of it...may still be do-able. Generally what you'll have is a plug going to the wall which feeds a direct in power to the control board. The control board will have a switched leg going from it to the compressor. All the neutrals will tie together and the ground will connect with something metal on the unit.

If you don't have that, but can see the wiring to the compressor, you can still bypass.

A DMM or continuity meter makes things easier to understand though.

Post pics of it...may still be do-able
Thank you. I will as soon as I have the out-going aircons taken off (which is, next week).
I, too, thought it should be doable, as what whatever sophisticated chips and digital controls do is after all only turning the pump on and off at proper moments of time. OK, now I hire a retired granny to watch a simple thermometer and do the same on-offing by hand. Should work!

But give me a week, I will get back to it when I see the condies dismounted. One I will probably sell for scrap right away and the guys who will come to install the new condies will take it away, but the smaller one I will retain.

Sounds good on the week. Honestly most controls are on the positive (line) side of the outlet and control the power output (the load). So even digital, at its root, should do this. Complications arise if there are feedback or other readings used by the controls.

Back