Want more color post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently brewed a honey ale that came out really light in color. I used a bit of candi syrup as well as honey. I want it a tad bit darker. More toward amberish.

Here’s my q- how do I slightly darken a beer post fermentation? It’s been kegged and carbed.

Normally I don’t care about such things, and next time I can adjust the grain bill to get a specific color. However this keg of beer will be donated to a friend for a house party.

Would food coloring work?

Food coloring is what I was going to suggest. I can't think of anything else that would change the color enough without changing the flavor.

Look into adding “Sinmar.” It’s made by Weyermann for this sort of purpose. For the amount you would need to get to Amber, it shouldn’t contribute much flavor.

Sinamar sounds good-as long as my lhbs carries it. If not, food coloring will be the route I take.

Thanks so much for the advice. I’ll post results.

If you can find it get "Brewers Caramel". First off, it is not "caramel" in the way you are thinking. It is only a coloring agent that English brewers have been using since the 1800's. It adds no fermentables and no flavor. It just darkens the beer. I bought mine from a place in the UK called Hop and Grape. I would include a link but it appears their website is down.

Latest posts

Back