Walk me through priming with juice concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Generally, I'm able to figure stuff out with a bit of high school math and a bit of Google Fu. I'm having a brain cloud on this though.

I want to try priming beer with a measured amount of cherry juice concentrate. Here's what I know about the stuff:

1 fluid ounce = 15g sugars (per the label, assuming it's fructose)
2.5mL weighs 3.5g (measured)
Brix = 81 (diluted 2.5mL juice with 5mL water, measured 27 brix, multiplied by 3)

So, if I normally would have used 5oz of dextrose priming sugar in 5 gallons, and 5oz is 141 grams, does that mean 9.4 fluid ounces would work?

So, if I normally would have used 5oz of dextrose priming sugar in 5 gallons, and 5oz is 141 grams, does that mean 9.4 fluid ounces would work?

I think that about puts you in the ballpark. I don't know about the difference between dextrose and fructose and how to convert between them (assuming it's actually all fructose they're measuring in the juice) if that makes a difference. I do know that you adjust your measurements for different sugars to get the same volumes of CO2 out of them.

And of course check for preservatives in the juice.

I think that about puts you in the ballpark. I don't know about the difference between dextrose and fructose and how to convert between them (assuming it's actually all fructose they're measuring in the juice) if that makes a difference. I do know that you adjust your measurements for different sugars to get the same volumes of CO2 out of them.

And of course check for preservatives in the juice.

I don't think fructose and dextrose are the same fermentability. I am basing this off of when I make hard cider, I add yeast and the drink ends up around 1.015 from 1.050 or so. If you add dextrose to the same mixture, it makes apfelwein, which is significantly drier.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that makes the corn sugar more fermentable than the fructose.

It seems as though there needs to be one more conversion in your formula, but I don't know what that conversion ratio is. This would be similar to the fact where you have to use more volume of DME than corn sugar, since it isn't as fermentable, just to reiterate what ChesireCat said in a different way.

Hmm, I think I'm going to give it a shot with 10 fl oz per 5 gallons but in a few smaller PET bottles.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but this is for a lambic also so I don't want to grenade any bottles with overcarbonation.

Generally, I'm able to figure stuff out with a bit of high school math and a bit of Google Fu. I'm having a brain cloud on this though.

I want to try priming beer with a measured amount of cherry juice concentrate. Here's what I know about the stuff:

2.5mL weighs 3.5g (measured)
Brix = 81 (diluted 2.5mL juice with 5mL water, measured 27 brix, multiplied by 3)

Yes, your math is correct.

As far as fermentability goes, I am definitely the wrong guy to ask, sorry.

Eric

Hmm, I think I'm going to give it a shot with 10 fl oz per 5 gallons but in a few smaller PET bottles.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but this is for a lambic also so I don't want to grenade any bottles with overcarbonation.

So.... how did it work out?

Old thread, but i'm curious how this one turned out if you got an update.
I'm thinking of adding tart cherry concentrate to an imperial stout. I NEED to bottle it in two weeks so I'm debating adding the juice to the secondary now and hope it ferments in time, or use it as the bottling addition

Back