Waited 6 months and popped my first bottled beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kblandfo

Reaction score
I started brewing with a buddy last April. At the time we picked up a Brewers Best Amber Ale kit from our LHBS. Everyone can recall their first brew and the patience it takes to wait out the first fermentation and then wait out the bottle conditioning. We bottled this batch and saved the first two 12 oz bottles of the batch and put them some were dark and cool with a drink on date for October 15th. Well yesterday we got together and brewed up 20 gallons of beer and had a big brew day. We capped the day off by busting open those two bottles. They were still delicious. I was expecting it to be good but taste old. It didn’t. The hop aroma and flavour was still there. It was dark so I can’t speak much on the color but I am very pleased with the results. I wish I had kept a couple more bottles to break out for the rest of the year. Oh well 20 more gals in the FV and some IPA and a Porter in the fridge. I love home brewing.

I had something like that happen with my saison & dampfbier that were some 4-5 months old. Still good, maybe even better at that point. Still have some of the dampfbier in the fridge for Sunday.

Congrats. I just started this past summer and I'm really enjoying the experience (and payoff) as well.

I started in may, and there are two bottles from every batch that I stow away for a later date.

Back