Wait between mash and boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handsaw

Reaction score
I've got to be somewhere this afternoon but I've got time to do a 90 min mash but not enough time to follow it with a 90 min boil and when I get back I won't have enough time to do both either. I've got a starter that is ready to go so I really want to brew today. Beside that, tomorrow won't be any better. Can I do the mash and let it hold at mashing temp or maybe just cut off the power to the element and do the boil when I get home, probably 4 or 5 hours later.
I'm doing electric BIAB so it isn't a problem to hold the mash temp while I'm gone.

If it were me, I'd at least get it up to a mash out (if not right to a boil) before letting it sit. You'll still have active enzymes in there and I'd be concerned with over conversion and a drier end product.

I suppose for some styles this would not be a problem.

There was a thread on here earlier in the month about this same thing, he let it sit overnight at high temps...then boiled it the next day I think. He had some flavor problems. I think it would better to get the temp up close to boiling to kill anything harmful and then get it refrigerated soon as possible.

I chickened out and cold crashed the starter and waited until today to brew. I skipped an Irish jam session to do it though.

Latest posts

Back