Wahed my first yeast, WLP400

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnsondog65

Reaction score
ynf6.jpg

My first attempt at washing yeast on Tuesday. I followed the sticky from above on washing yeast performed on an all grain recipe, AHS Blue Moon Clone.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/austin-homebrews-blue-moon-clone-ag-30190/index13.html
It came out slightly under by 2 pts on the OG, but everything else was pretty consistent with the recipe. My efficiency was low because of my learning curve and this being only my second all grain. Still learning my system and equipment.

The layer on the bottom is about 1/4" thick in a 1/2 pint glass. This has settled out for two days now and it seems a little on the small side as far as yeast volume. I have no problem stepping up a starter for what yeast is there.

Will this small amount of yeast be enough for a another 5g batch of the same brew provided I use a starter and stir plate? Or should I chalk it up as a learning experience and try again on the next brew?

Have you left it refrigerated all this time?

That is about the same amount that I collect in each pint mason jar, I usually get 4 or so from a batch. I've always made a starter with it and everything takes off fine. With lagers I would advise being careful, if you store them too long you may have to step them up to get a good pitch.

But ya, everything looks good there!

Thanks for the reply!
Yep, been refrigerated all this time. I'll keep em and try them in about 4 weeks

Thanks!

Back