VPN'S & Internet Security

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Is anyone using a VPN or mobile internet security apps on their mobile devices?

If so would like details on what's being used and which to stay away from.

I visit alot of places that have public wifi, most of which require a password that is displayed in that establishment.

Just trying to decide if it's really necessary.

As long as the websites you're browsing are using an encrypted connection (e.g. over 90% of websites), you don't need extra "security" besides normal internet safety practices. I'd assume mobile apps tenanting any kind of personal data would also be using an encrypted connection.

Wi-Fi passwords are only to restrict access, not provide security.

My 2 cents.

I have been using airvpn for several years and am very satisfied with them. They have plenty of servers all over the world, they do not log, do not throttle based on protocol (ie BitTorrent) and are reasonably priced. At home my connection is faster than with just my ISP (by a tiny amount) and on my mobile devices only a tiny bit slower than the ISP's speed.
Also AirVpn has a pre-built client for almost all platforms that is easy to use or you can download config files and set it up on your router or device through openvpn.
https://airvpn.org/

As long as the websites you're browsing are using an encrypted connection (e.g. over 90% of websites), you don't need extra "security" besides normal internet safety practices. I'd assume mobile apps tenanting any kind of personal data would also be using an encrypted connection.

Wi-Fi passwords are only to restrict access, not provide security.

My 2 cents.
I've kind of thought about this recently. I have special credit card that's for only for home brewing. I have made purchases from Stout Tanks and Pro Flow Dynamics. I'm already on my 3rd credit card with 3 purchases in total. One is from Stout Tanks, two from Pro Flow Dynamics.

Somebody has bought the following...

1st card; Occulous Rif gear from Cali, Kansas City Chief Memorabilia

2nd card; Hockey Box Tickets for the Mavericks.

3rd card; yet to be used.

I'm going to lock and unlock it after every transaction. It's not a daily use card. I use it only for equipment and ingredients purchases.

I'm wondering if it's, a hacked website, or a specific employee at Pro Flow Dynamics, or me for not using a VPN. All purchases are made on my machine, a chromebox, using a Comcast Gateway.

I'm not sure you guys are understanding what a VPN is; it's sort of like a proxy. It actually provides less security, and it certainly doesn't speed up your internet connection since all the data still goes through your local network/ISP.

Say you mail a letter from home. It gets picked up by you local mailman through your local post office, routed through a bunch of regional hubs and then to the local post office at the destination. Internet traffic works more-or-less the same way.

Using a VPN would be like you entering an agreement with some private company in Dallas, TX where you send them mail and then they repackage it so it looks like it's coming from Dallas. It still gets picked up by your local post office, routed through various regional hubs (potentially even more than before), and there's an additional middleman in the transfer.
It's useful in maybe certain circumstances like if you want to correspond with a business that gives a discount to Texas residents.

I hope that example helps.

There are a number of ways credit card info can be stolen. The main things you can do are make sure your computer has no malware, make sure all websites where you're entering personal and financial info use an encrypted connection, limit the number of sites that store that information, and monitor your card activity. There are also websites that can monitor data breaches since often it's not reported to you like it should be. Limiting card use is certainly an option, although a bit more extreme.

I'm not sure you guys are understanding what a VPN is; it's sort of like a proxy. It actually provides less security, and it certainly doesn't speed up your internet connection since all the data still goes through your local network/ISP.

Say you mail a letter from home. It gets picked up by you local mailman through your local post office, routed through a bunch of regional hubs and then to the local post office at the destination. Internet traffic works more-or-less the same way.

Using a VPN would be like you entering an agreement with some private company in Dallas, TX where you send them mail and then they repackage it so it looks like it's coming from Dallas. It still gets picked up by your local post office, routed through various regional hubs (potentially even more than before), and there's an additional middleman in the transfer.
It's useful in maybe certain circumstances like if you want to correspond with a business that gives a discount to Texas residents.

I hope that example helps.

There are a number of ways credit card info can be stolen. The main things you can do are make sure your computer has no malware, make sure all websites where you're entering personal and financial info use an encrypted connection, limit the number of sites that store that information, and monitor your card activity. There are also websites that can monitor data breaches since often it's not reported to you like it should be. Limiting card use is certainly an option, although a bit more extreme.

I see VPNs differently. Maybe I'm wrong as I never studied it professionally. I've used I2P for a few years.

I see it as software that takes your communication and encrypts it with an key, then splits it into 2 or more channels, transmits it to the recipient. That recipient has the same VPN and key and decrypts and rejoins the channels to make it look as how it was sent.

The difference with I2P is its a peer to peer VPN only the recipient has the proper key decrypt and reassemble. The data is a transmitting slowly through multiple recipients until all of the data reaches the recipient. Makes it hard to intercept by one person.

I seem to recall a proxy just masks the sender location and maybe the identity. VPNs can be or are proxies too.

My chromebox is not corrupted. It's completely sandboxed. Meaning the OS can't be modified. It reinstalls every time it's rebooted. It reboots in under 7 seconds. It's much like a mobile phone like desktop but more like a thin client. If not actually that.

As we all know VPN = Virtual Private Network. The privacy keeps snooping ISPs from monitoring our traffic (hence providing ads, collecting statistics, etc). Yes, our ISP knows we're connected to our VPN server, but from the VPN to wherever we go is private. Once connected to the VPN the data is encrypted and private. Also, based on the usual way of doing things, VPNs constantly, or nearly constantly, change IP addresses. So, if say HBT is tracking my ISPs general location, they get false information. How does this help? Getting around blocked content.

As an example, I desire to listen to a BBC presentation on the Beatles. With my VPN, I can connect to a server in London and then go to the BBC site. I'm viewing/listening to the BBC presentation where normally I'm blocked as I'm not truly in the UK.

In addition the encrypted connection between me and the VPN masks my activity. Prevent "man in the middle" exploits, etc.

Also helps preventing surfing tracking. Preventing Amazon knowing I looked at something when I visited Walmart.

While it's true a VPN only provides security to a certain level, we would not use a commercial VPN for sensitive work, for most of us this is not a concern (if it is we'd have an industrial strength VPN for connecting to the sensitive work).

I see VPNs differently. Maybe I'm wrong as I never studied it professionally.
Yeah... :(
I see it as software that takes your communication and encrypts it with an key, then splits it into 2 or more channels, transmits it to the recipient.
The thing is, all your personal information should already be encrypted when it leaves your device (before it reaches the VPN servers).

In my example, you would want to seal the envelop if it contains sensitive data (as opposed to using a post-card i.e. unencrypted), because your data still changes between a lot of hands before it gets to the place that puts in into an additional envelop (additional layer of encryption).

That recipient has the same VPN
VPN isn't a software package that exists on your device. It's a server that exists on a computer somewhere else, and your data goes through other servers to get there.
The difference with I2P is its a peer to peer VPN
IP2 is not a VPN. I think you're confused by the word "private" in VPN. "Private" does not equal "privacy".
The privacy keeps snooping ISPs from monitoring our traffic (hence providing ads, collecting statistics, etc).
Perhaps, or perhaps not. You aren't giving them enough credit. Web browsing traffic looks a lot different than BitTorrent, which looks a lot different than a video streaming service, even if it's all encrypted.
So, if say HBT is tracking my ISPs general location, they get false information.
You're completely forgetting about client-side tracking, which encompasses most of the tracking that goes on.
In addition the encrypted connection between me and the VPN masks my activity. Prevent "man in the middle" exploits, etc
You are not directly connecting to a VPN. If you're sending unencrypted information on a wireless network (passworded or not) for example it's possible for an attacker to see it.

It's not some magical thing that prevents malicious activity and keeps everything secret.

What is a VPN? From Norton.

"A virtual private network (VPN) gives you online privacy and anonymity by creating a private network from a public internet connection. VPNs mask your internet protocol (IP) address so your online actions are virtually untraceable. Most important, VPN services establish secure and encrypted connections to provide greater privacy than even a secured Wi-Fi hotspot."

"Perhaps, or perhaps not. You aren't giving them enough credit. Web browsing traffic looks a lot different than BitTorrent, which looks a lot different than a video streaming service, even if it's all encrypted." So what? I could, before this virus nonsense, be watching a baseball game. Fact is our ISPs don't know.

Yeah... :(

The thing is, all your personal information should already be encrypted when it leaves your device (before it reaches the VPN servers).

In my example, you would want to seal the envelop if it contains sensitive data (as opposed to using a post-card i.e. unencrypted), because your data still changes between a lot of hands before it gets to the place that puts in into an additional envelop (additional layer of encryption).

VPN isn't a software package that exists on your device. It's a server that exists on a computer somewhere else, and your data goes through other servers to get there.

IP2 is not a VPN. I think you're confused by the word "private" in VPN. "Private" does not equal "privacy".

Perhaps, or perhaps not. You aren't giving them enough credit. Web browsing traffic looks a lot different than BitTorrent, which looks a lot different than a video streaming service, even if it's all encrypted.

You're completely forgetting about client-side tracking, which encompasses most of the tracking that goes on.

You are not directly connecting to a VPN. If you're sending unencrypted information on a wireless network (passworded or not) for example it's possible for an attacker to see it.

It's not some magical thing that prevents malicious activity and keeps everything secret.
Out of curiosity...

My work PC is encrypted. So does that mean it's a) encrypted locally b) leaving encrypted through the network or c) is only encrypted thru the VPN?

FWIW - I have Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on my PC. Which is what we call "the VPN" at work.

Out of curiosity...

My work PC is encrypted. So does that mean it's a) encrypted locally b) leaving encrypted through the network or c) is only encrypted thru the VPN?

FWIW - I have Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on my PC. Which is what we call "the VPN" at work.

It's my understanding once connected to the VPN you are encrypted end-to-end.

What is a VPN? From Norton.

"A virtual private network (VPN) gives you online privacy and anonymity by creating a private network from a public internet connection. VPNs mask your internet protocol (IP) address so your online actions are virtually untraceable. Most important, VPN services establish secure and encrypted connections to provide greater privacy than even a secured Wi-Fi hotspot."

"Perhaps, or perhaps not. You aren't giving them enough credit. Web browsing traffic looks a lot different than BitTorrent, which looks a lot different than a video streaming service, even if it's all encrypted." So what? I could, before this virus nonsense, be watching a baseball game. Fact is our ISPs don't know.
That definition is fine, obviously. I'm trying to explain what it means and what limitations it has. A VPN acts as an intermediary that basically disguises you from the servers you want to access.

Encryption is commonplace (SSL certificates for websites are free nowadays and easy to set up), a VPN doesn't really add anything in that respect. If the server you're accessing doesn't support encryption, then the VPN encryption doesn't necessarily help you because unencrypted data would still be sent across untrusted computers.

It doesn't stop websites from tracking you or stop your ISP from collecting your usage statistics.

That means data stored in your computer is encrypted. It doesn't provide any security whatsoever to data sent from the computer over a network. That is completely separate.

It's my understanding once connected to the VPN you are encrypted end-to-end.
No, not necessarily.

Here are some of the reason to use a vpn From fossbytes.com (advertising links have been removed)
10 Reasons To Use A VPN Service
1. Hide your internet activity from ISP
I don’t think I need to explain this reason for using a VPN service any further. As told above, now your ISP has complete access to your internet browsing history. With the help of a great VPN service, you can avert this kind of surveillance and get the benefits of anonymity in your daily life. Such VPN services make sure that all your connections between your devices and remote resources are clocked.

2. Bypass your government’s internet censorship
Many countries don’t believe in providing free and open internet to their citizens. These countries limit your internet access and block certain websites. So, if you live in such countries, you definitely need a worthy VPN service to break these barriers.

3. Use public Wi-Fi without risks
Everybody loves free stuff, there’s no doubt about that. The same goes with the free internet being provided at cafes, restaurants, airports, and other public places . We don’t hesitate while connecting to such networks. But, do you know that such hotspots are not safe for confidential browsing and logins? It’s one of the biggest reasons why a mobile user must consider using a quality VPN service and make a wise investment.

4. Access full Netflix content anywhere
A big reason why people pirate stuff is that they don’t get access to all the content on streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Due to their copyright agreements, these popular streaming services can’t broadcast all their catalogs outside the United States. But, using a VPN can solve this problem. As a VPN service has the power to change the IP address of your computer, you can unlock tons of content and have more options for chilling with Netflix.

5. Bypass restrictions in office/school/college
This is one of the most common problems faced when you are in school or office where you are only allowed to browser just few internet websites. Many organizations believe in blocking social networking websites, torrent connections, YouTube, etc. to “boost the productivity” of their employees. The same reasons are also given when many services are blocked in schools and colleges. Well, we don’t recommend you to break the policies of your organization and school.

6. Secure your VOIP phone calls
VOIP, or Voice-over-IP, is a cheap way to make internet phone calls. But VOIP services can be hacked by the attackers who have a good knowledge of internet architecture. Such cases are a good reason to use a VPN service, which can turn out to be greatly useful. But, note that your usual VOIP speed might get a little slower.

7. Stop Google from tracking you
No matter how much you love Google for its “free” services, it knows everything about you. If you don’t take care of your privacy settings and browse the web casually, Google stores your every search, movement, activity, download, etc. Very often people end up facing troubles and embarrassment. Well, get a VPN, hide your IP and avoid such troubles.

8. Use if you’re a researcher/whistleblower/activist/journalist
These are some of the scenarios where you can’t afford to browse the web without a good VPN service. In these cases, it’s in your personal interest to make your activity and device hidden to the government and your competitors. VPN allows you to manipulate your IP address, cloak your internet traffic, and perform your work without any risk.

9. Using BitTorrent
Ok, let’s accept that most of the internet users use BitTorrent for downloading purposes. While most of the users use it to download movies and TV shows illegally from notorious torrent websites, some users use it for grabbing legal content. It’s a known fact that different ISPs don’t support torrent downloading in many regions. Using BitTorrent can also put you on the surveillance list of many governments and copyright organizations in some countries. To avert such situations, the use of VPN is recommended.

10. Privacy is your right
This argument sums up all the above-mentioned reasons to use a VPN service. In today’s times, the use of VPN is growing rapidly and it’s being seen as a basic internet security practice. Even if you’re a normal citizen and you think you’ve got nothing to hide, a VPN service can act as your best friend very often.

1. Hide your internet activity from ISP
OK, but at that level of "discretion" I hope you're only using burner phones, making only cash transactions, using only open source software (i.e. not Windows), and wearing a mask in public places to stay off camera.

On the other hand, if you're researching how to kill someone (and then follow through with it) or some other highly illegal activity, then it probably is a good idea along with the steps above.
Use public Wi-Fi without risks
I already mentioned this is bogus because your traffic will already be encrypted.
Stop Google from tracking you
"Very often people end up facing troubles and embarrassment"? What a bunch of nonsensical propaganda. VPN alone won't stop Google from tracking your activity anyway. #10 is also an unfounded opinion. They just want to sell you a VPN service by scaring you. Fear is a good motivator, and people don't know any better.

The rest of the reasons are fine when there's a specific restriction you're bypassing (illegally in most cases).

Look at option 3 in that article. Encryption. Almost every website already has it and using a VPN offers no additional benefit.
Another way of stating not every website has it.

I don't get your fervor on this issue. You've posted more than anyone else with the exact same opinion every time. And it is just an opinion.

Another way of stating not every website has it.

I don't get your fervor on this issue. You've posted more than anyone else with the exact same opinion every time. And it is just an opinion.
How is it an opinion that the large majority of websites support encryption? I'm pointing out a fact.
You can easily see whether a website has encryption and verify this yourself, and you SHOULD verify it if you are sharing any kind of personal info on that site, regardless of whether you're on a wireless network.

"90.2% of the browsing time on Chrome is spent on HTTPS pages."
https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/ssl-stats/#gref

The sites that aren't encrypted most likely are not transmitting/receiving personal information.

I'm posting here because it bugs me when people make uninformed decisions based on marketing scare tactics. Feel free to ignore the facts I'm presenting and have a nice day. :)

How is it an opinion that the large majority of websites support encryption? I'm pointing out a fact.
You can easily see whether a website has encryption and verify this yourself, and you SHOULD verify it if you are sharing any kind of personal info on that site, regardless of whether you're on a wireless network.

"90.2% of the browsing time on Chrome is spent on HTTPS pages."
https://hostingtribunal.com/blog/ssl-stats/#gref

The sites that aren't encrypted most likely are not transmitting/receiving personal information.

I'm posting here because it bugs me when people make uninformed decisions based on marketing scare tactics. Feel free to ignore the facts I'm presenting and have a nice day. :)
You can rest assured that I am ignoring your posts but it bugs me when persistent posters attempt to shout down dissenting opinions.

Time for a reminder folks - stick to the topic. Don't make it about personal disagreements.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

I have a fairly large number of nodes on my LAN that I would like remote access to via VPN. Are there services that resolve to a gateway and then allow access to everything on the LAN beyond, or are all of these VPN services limited to scope, individual nodes on a LAN?

Cheers!

I have a fairly large number of nodes on my LAN that I would like remote access to via VPN. Are there services that resolve to a gateway and then allow access to everything on the LAN beyond, or are all of these VPN services limited to scope, individual nodes on a LAN?

Cheers!
I'll send a PM.

Is anyone using a VPN or mobile internet security apps on their mobile devices?
On my mobile phone (which is not connected to anything work related), I am not using a VPN. For web browsing, I am using a content blocker to speed up page load time, minimize "tracking", and minimize various "malware attack" vectors. I have no "free" apps on my phone to avoid "if it's free, you are likely the product" situations.
I visit alot of places that have public wifi, most of which require a password that is displayed in that establishment.
My phone data plan is "big enough" that I don't have to consider using free WiFi. One less thing to consider in the "attack" vectors. Less time spent on securing my devices - and more time spent on more interesting topics.
Just trying to decide if it's really necessary.
What are you trying to protect?

On my mobile phone (which is not connected to anything work related), I am not using a VPN. For web browsing, I am using a content blocker to speed up page load time, minimize "tracking", and minimize various "malware attack" vectors. I have no "free" apps on my phone to avoid "if it's free, you are likely the product" situations.

My phone data plan is "big enough" that I don't have to consider using free WiFi. One less thing to consider in the "attack" vectors. Less time spent on securing my devices - and more time spent on more interesting topics.

What are you trying to protect?
I decided against using a VPN.
At the time I posted this thread wasn't sure if a VPN was something I needed.

Applying the paddles to this thread ("Clear!") :D

So...been giving more thought to VPNs. As of this moment I'm thinking Surfshark is a value leader without shirking security. Along with their other claims the "unlimited devices" is compelling as we have a crapton of devices.

Anyone have experience with them? Anyone pleased to go a different way?

Cheers!

Can't comment on Surfshark, but PIA has been trouble-free for many years. Constant updates available, which I like. The installed process always connects immediately as soon as the computer boots if you select for that to happen. (FYI, the only thing I use it for is torrent sites where I download the latest chess books :) ).

Back