Volume in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabond

Reaction score
I'm jumping the gun here with my stupid wine making questions as I haven't actually read any published material on the subject however, I think I have a pretty good idea on the basic procedure except on how exactly to correctly bring the volume of the must to 5 gallons or whatever you're shooting for.

Everything I have read online goes through the process but leaves out the volume of the must. Is there a reason for this? Is it recipe dependent?

Is it just as simple as putting your ingredients in the fermenter and then adding water until it's up to 5 gallons or whatever the recipe calls for?

Also, I'm planning on purchasing some material on the subject in the very near future so if anyone has a particular book that has helped out in your quest to make a decent bottle of wine I'd love to hear it.

Thanks..

Well, you add the ingredients and mix them up to make whatever volume you wish. Here's my favorite reference for wine making: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

He lists the five steps in winemaking, and then when you click on each individual step, he expounds upon the step. He has great information, and great recipes as well as a lists of yeast strains and problems you may encounter in winemaking. I use that site all the time.

If you are adjusting a smaller recipe to a bigger 1 then everything must be multiplied by the size you want except for yeast. 1 yeast packet is good for up to 6 gallons of wine, anything beyond that and you should add another packet.

Back