Volcano!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybrew

Reaction score
So I just brewed another batch of my IPA and I was a little disappointed last time with the actual beer i yielded. I decided in my infinite wisdom to add about 3/4 gallon of watter to the batch. Came home today and the foam in the fermenter (bucket) had "blown-off" the airlock and I had a nice Kräusen volcano in my fermentation room (ie pantry).

Anyway, I thought this was pretty funny and kind of a rookie mistake. I guess this Burton yeast is just way more violent than some of the other yeasts I've used. I guess the moral of the story is to go Carboy with a blow-off tube from now oh eh?

-Russ

You can also put blow-off tubes on buckets. If I'm using a yeast that I know is more vigorous (sp?) than others, then I'll remove the cap on my air-lock along with the plastic float inside. I'll then put a good size length of hose over the inside tube on the air-lock. Works just like it would on a carboy.

The same thing happened with my batch of red lager last fall. I had just gotten the carboy so I wanted to use it as the primary. While I was at work on day 2 of fermentation the whole airlock and stopper blew off and hit the ceiling with so much force that it broke the airlock and rochocheted it 7' away. The batch still turned out great but I wish I could have seen it. I'm sure it looked like a geyser for a second or 2.

Back