Visitors Guide: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MN)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I am far too lazy to go through the all the MPS breweries online. Is anyone doing decent sours or are there any events going on next weekend?

Work is sending me out for two weeks and I will have some time next weekend (June 6 & 7) to hit some places.
I echo Fair State. Can meet you there if interested.

Since I am far too lazy to go through the all the MPS breweries online. Is anyone doing decent sours or are there any events going on next weekend?

Work is sending me out for two weeks and I will have some time next weekend (June 6 & 7) to hit some places.
Also check to make sure when the taproom is open. I imagine It will be closed on the 7th. Indeed brewing is also in that neighborhood and may have wooden soul #2 on tap as well which is pretty damn good.

Dumb question from out of towner passing through. Surly sell to go stuff ( bottles, cans)? Would like to stop in for a bite and want to one stop shop.
If not, best shops along Fargo-Madison route for all Minny goodies?

Dumb question from out of towner passing through. Surly sell to go stuff ( bottles, cans)? Would like to stop in for a bite and want to one stop shop.
If not, best shops along Fargo-Madison route for all Minny goodies?
No off sale at Surly.

Zipp's, right on I94

Coming into town Sunday-Thursday, and this thread was crazy helpful. Any new must-hits since the last time this was updated?

Where you staying?

Out near the Mall of America most of the time, one night near South St. Paul (I didn't pick these spots). Also, I think I owe you and your double deuce partner from a few years back a few beers if you're around.

Out near the Mall of America most of the time, one night near South St. Paul (I didn't pick these spots). Also, I think I owe you and your double deuce partner from a few years back a few beers if you're around.
You might want to take the light rail (Blue line) from the Mall into Minneapolis if you have time. The end of the line is Target Field, and Modist and Fulton are both very close to that. I work right by there as well so I could meet up in that area easily. There isn't a lot down by the Mall unfortunately.

As for South St. Paul, it's a suburb kind of by the airport, not sure if there's much right in that area, but if you can get to downtown St. Paul, there are a few good bars like Dark Horse and some good restaurants. From downtown St. Paul, you can also take the other light rail line to Black Stack, Surly, Town Hall, and that line also ends at Target Field by Modist and Fulton.

If you have a car then you can hit the Northeast taprooms: Fair State, Dangerous Man, and Indeed being the best IMO.

Anything to update these days from you twin cities folk? Flying in with beer friends July 27 and spending the evening in town before driving a few hours to simply drink all weekend. Looking for good food + good beer or simply ok food but great beer. Any good on site bottle list kind of places?

Anything to update these days from you twin cities folk? Flying in with beer friends July 27 and spending the evening in town before driving a few hours to simply drink all weekend. Looking for good food + good beer or simply ok food but great beer. Any good on site bottle list kind of places?
Where are you staying?

Saw this thread surge to life and might as well stick my head in.

Went to college in St. Paul. Will be back in town for my 10yr reunion. In college, I lived at Muddy Pig. I realize its been uhhh ten years, but any reason to change habits? Just looking for local ticks.

Went to college in St. Paul. Will be back in town for my 10yr reunion. In college, I lived at Muddy Pig. I realize its been uhhh ten years, but any reason to change habits? Just looking for local ticks.
Happy Gnome is right down the road from there as well.

Breweries in STP:
Blackstack
Barrel Theory (if open by then)
Surly (destination brewery just over the border in MPLS)

Happy Gnome is right down the road from there as well.

Breweries in STP:
Blackstack
Barrel Theory (if open by then)
Surly (destination brewery just over the border in MPLS)
Surly is a must stop for anyone. The food in the main hall is great, the Brewer's Table upstairs is an excellent fine dining spot, with vintage bottles of Darkness and anniversary beers, nice space, tons of fun.

I'll be arriving in the evening on June 29, flying back out on July 4.

Appreciate any info about:
* Special beer events going on during that window
* Bars/brewpubs with the best sour selection
* Places serving flights and/or short pours (5 oz or less) - I'm hoping this is the norm like in GR, but several cities have taught me otherwise before

For reference I'll be staying in Golden Valley.

I'll be arriving in the evening on June 29, flying back out on July 4.

Appreciate any info about:
* Special beer events going on during that window
* Bars/brewpubs with the best sour selection
* Places serving flights and/or short pours (5 oz or less) - I'm hoping this is the norm like in GR, but several cities have taught me otherwise before

For reference I'll be staying in Golden Valley.
Fairstate Brewing is probably your best bet for sours. They are pretty damn good and tend to have a decent variety. Being a taproom they can only serve their own stuff though.

For bars I would suggest Grizzleys or New Bohemia if you're looking for convenient to you with good beer. Grizzleys has a few accounts with some great outstate breweries that only like 2 other bars in the metro have. RePUBlic (7 corners) is your best bet for variety and flights though. They have 100ish taps and allow for flights on all of them. Town hall Brewing is across the street as well which doesn't hurt either.

Taproom wise there is a good concentration of them pretty convenient to each other in NE Minneapolis and the north loop of down town with very few that will disappoint.

Groveland Tap

Hey all, so I'll be flying in tomorrow for the National Homebrewers' Conference. The conference doesn't start until Thursday though, so I'll just be bouncing around Surly, Town Hall, and probably a couple other places if anybody wants to grab a beer.

Come to Steel Toe brewing. They have some great beers on tap and I'll be there for bags league. Maybe get sacrelicio Sender1 or Minnesotaryan and a few other guys to swing through

Definitely a possibility, my plan tomorrow is pretty fluid beyond grabbing lunch at Hell's Kitchen since it's pretty much next door to my hotel.

How long you in town for?

Land at noon on Wednesday and leave at noon on Sunday. Not a ton of downtime during the conference, so most of my free time is either tomorrow or after the conference ends late afternoon/early evening on Saturday.

Say a hypothetical FIB was visiting next week...what would be your top 2-3 4-6 packs (pref to cans, but open) to grab? Any style...also open to larger formats if there's something can't-miss only available in big bottles.

Say a hypothetical FIB was visiting next week...what would be your top 2-3 4-6 packs (pref to cans, but open) to grab? Any style...also open to larger formats if there's something can't-miss only available in big bottles.
Make sure you stop at Barrel Theory in St. Paul to try what they have. Only been open a couple weeks, best taproom in MN already.

Cans
Lupulin - Blissful Ignorance, Hooey (both IPAs)
Modist - Dreamyard (IPA, cans not dated)
Fairstate - hefeweizen
Dangerous man - peanut butter porter (crowler, brewery only)
Schells - Pilsner, hefe (bottles)

Big bottles
Steel Toe - before the dawn, lunker (ba barleywines brewery only)
Steel toe - size 4 (session)
Schells - Tidal Disruption (blackberry Berliner)
TG - DDH pseudo sue (don't buy cans)

Make sure you stop at Barrel Theory in St. Paul to try what they have. Only been open a couple weeks, best taproom in MN already.

Cans
Lupulin - Blissful Ignorance, Hooey (both IPAs)
Modist - Dreamyard (IPA, cans not dated)
Fairstate - hefeweizen
Dangerous man - peanut butter porter (crowler, brewery only)
Schells - Pilsner, hefe (bottles)

Big bottles
Steel Toe - before the dawn, lunker (ba barleywines brewery only)
Steel toe - size 4 (session)
Schells - Tidal Disruption (blackberry Berliner)
TG - DDH pseudo sue (don't buy cans)

Thanks for this!

Looks like France 44 and South Lyndale are about equal from the hotel in Bloomington - any preference?

Thanks for this!

Looks like France 44 and South Lyndale are about equal from the hotel in Bloomington - any preference?
You're in my neighborhood! S. Lyndale has a better mix 6 selection if you want to grab singles. They both have pretty good selections overall though. Let me know if you're looking to grab a drink. I'm guessing you are staying within a couple miles of me.

You're in my neighborhood! S. Lyndale has a better mix 6 selection if you want to grab singles. They both have pretty good selections overall though. Let me know if you're looking to grab a drink. I'm guessing you are staying within a couple miles of me.

Thanks again for the tour, the visit to Barrel Theory (highly recommended), and the bottle shop stops. Best first day of a work-trip ever!

Will be in Minneapolis today for the Twins game (visiting from Austin). Planning to hit up Fulton before the game. Also... Will certainly be finding a liquor store on our way out of town tomorrow. I'm assuming Fulton is walking/stumbling distance to Target field?

Will be in Minneapolis today for the Twins game (visiting from Austin). Planning to hit up Fulton before the game. Also... Will certainly be finding a liquor store on our way out of town tomorrow. I'm assuming Fulton is walking/stumbling distance to Target field?
Yes.

If you like BA barleywines see if they have BA Patience. BA Libertine is a barrel aged imperial red ale but tastes like a barleywine.

Hey y'all, I'm heading to Minneapolis next Thursday for work. I don't really have to do **** until Friday so I was planning on brewery hopping. Staying downtown and trying to do uber/light rail.

I've been to Surly before and dug it, but was hoping to check out new spots. Barrel Theory is really the only thing I am dead set on hitting. Hazy IPAs, pilsners, saisons, and ciders are mainly what I'm after.

If anyone wants to touch tips/bottle share/etc... let me know. I may also have some free time on Fri/Sat night, but not sure yet.

Hey y'all, I'm heading to Minneapolis next Thursday for work. I don't really have to do **** until Friday so I was planning on brewery hopping. Staying downtown and trying to do uber/light rail.

I've been to Surly before and dug it, but was hoping to check out new spots. Barrel Theory is really the only thing I am dead set on hitting. Hazy IPAs, pilsners, saisons, and ciders are mainly what I'm after.

If anyone wants to touch tips/bottle share/etc... let me know. I may also have some free time on Fri/Sat night, but not sure yet.

I was in TC for work this summer, though we stayed out in the burbs.

I really enjoyed Wild Mind Ales - great setting, they had many AWAs (I know, not on your list), but also at least several saisons, and one pilsner/one hazy IPA.

Their main site seems to be having trouble right now, but I bet some of the pics here will seal the deal:
https://twitter.com/wildmindales?lang=en

Looks like about a 15 minute ride from downtown (I don't know if rail goes anywhere near).

Barrel Theory was indeed excellent too.

Latest posts

Back