Visiting Philadelphia Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite familiar with Earth. DAT WHITE + BLACK PIE.
There's also Iron Hill Chestnut Hill just up the road. As far as bottle shops, I've been told the Trolley Car diner actually has a pretty good bottle selection to go, but I can't confirm that myself. Also, you'll be pretty close to Barren Hill, won't you?

There's also Iron Hill Chestnut Hill just up the road. As far as bottle shops, I've been told the Trolley Car diner actually has a pretty good bottle selection to go, but I can't confirm that myself. Also, you'll be pretty close to Barren Hill, won't you?

I'll poke my head in at the Trolley Car. Haven't been there since before I gave a **** about beer. I didn't even remember that Barren Hill was going to be a thing. I'm sadly not gonna be stumbling distance from there, but I'll be checking it out for sure.

Oh, and you won't be too far from Foodery Roxborough.

But...that means I have to set foot in Roxborough. ;)

I'll poke my head in at the Trolley Car. Haven't been there since before I gave a **** about beer. I didn't even remember that Barren Hill was going to be a thing. I'm sadly not gonna be stumbling distance from there, but I'll be checking it out for sure.

But...that means I have to set foot in Roxborough. ;)

Yea I'm the same way with Trolley Car. Haven't been there since college. I heard of people buying BCBCS there last year though. That Roxborough comment has been my lulz of the day so far. Thanks for that.

Anyone have any suggestions up in the Northwest? Gonna be moving up to Mt. Airy soon, and I have no idea if there's a decent bottle shop anywhere in Gtown/Mt Airy/Chestnut Hill.

i haven't been here yet, so i can't speak to their prices, but i know the trolley car deli/diner has take out/mix a six beer to go. and just a block or two further on germantown ave you'll find the brewer's outlet. sounds like a homebrew store, but it's a distributor.

and i know the barren hill tavern just opened where the general lafayette used to be. in lafayette hill. course that's not a shop, it's a brewery.

EDIT: i'm a little late, i guess.

so has anyone been to barren hill yet? i almost went this weekend, then i went to tired hands instead.

I have not, but there was some lukewarm impressions over on BA about it. I expect the beer to get better but the food to be merely average and stay that way.

Can someone recommend me a place that has more of a restaurant than bar atmosphere but still has an interesting tap list? Or some place with great food and wine if there aren't many beer options with good food. My girlfriend's mom is taking us out to dinner Saturday and we aren't sure where to go. I only know the bars in Philly but I think that would be awkward lol

Can someone recommend me a place that has more of a restaurant than bar atmosphere but still has an interesting tap list? Or some place with great food and wine if there aren't many beer options with good food. My girlfriend's mom is taking us out to dinner Saturday and we aren't sure where to go. I only know the bars in Philly but I think that would be awkward lol
You should try Alla Spina. It's a Mark Vetri restaurant. They have a great tap list and the food is very good.

Tria doesn't take reservations, and on a Saturday at 6pm with 5 people there could potentially be a wait. Most of their seating is for smaller parties (2-3).

But it does fit the bill for atmosphere. It looks like Tria Taproom just opened and could be empty since it's so new? But fits your description far less.

http://www.triacafe.com/taproom/

(They also appear to have stolen Torst's tap setup.)

Fare isn't bad. If you stay in that neighborhood consider Belgian Cafe, Kite and Key, or Bishops Collar afterward.

Agreed, I've been there for brunch after going to the art museum and it was decent spot. You can still get a decent beer there too, although I want to say it was all bottles.

That's good to know. She also made reservations at Kennett in case people are more interested in that.
I think you'll find the food more impressive at Kennet. And if you plan to bar hop afterward, there are a few more easily accessible options nearby.

Agreed, I've been there for brunch after going to the art museum and it was decent spot. You can still get a decent beer there too, although I want to say it was all bottles.
They have some drafts now actually.

glad i'm seeing carton boat beer making the rounds... had it thursday night at the kite & key before a show at the union xfer. good stuff.

Capone's posted the Black Friday draft list: http://www.thebottleshop.biz/TBS_Event_Preview.htm

7am tap time haha

i saw that. it's not as epic as past years if i'm not mistaken. but this is from a guy that has never gone... i'm always away visiting family so i've never been able to go. that said, it would be pretty hard for me to get out of bed that early (esp since i'm not shopping!) to go drink.

Anyone going to winter beer fest at the armory tomorrow?

Round guys pumpkin is terrible. Spring house big gruesome is wonderful. I love neshaminator. I'm super excited to visit evil genius when they open. The beers I had from them were awesome.

BTW, manayunk had the surprise hit of the day with their Saison.

I love me some spring house. I try to get out to Lancaster every couple months

Yeah, Spring House is legit. I'm glad we get some of their beer in the city, but going to the taproom is fun. Lancaster is packed with solid beer spots.

I'm staying at the Center City Embassy Suites this weekend. Anyone got some good bottle shop recs around there? Also will take food recs! Ty!

I'm staying at the Center City Embassy Suites this weekend. Anyone got some good bottle shop recs around there? Also will take food recs! Ty!

Bottleshops:

Old Philly Ale House is at 20th and Brandywine. Probably more expensive than other bottleshops, but tax is included in the price.

Monde Market: 21st and Chestnut. I've had pretty good luck there recently. One of the cheaper ones I've found.

Corner Foodery: 17th and Sansom. I'm not a fan.

Those are probably the 3 best within walking distance.

Bars:

Kite and Key is a good bar at 19th and Callowhill. I'm not a fan of the food though.

Belgian Cafe is at 21st and Green. Food is solid.

Sabrina's (same block as Kite and Key) is a great brunch place. One of my favorites in the city.

St. Stephen's Green has pretty good food, but it's a bit of a hike (17th and Green).

If you need any more help or recommendations, let me know!

Kind of a dead zone right there as far as bottle shops. owlsfan probably hit the best (even though Monde is supposed to be a secret). Kite and Key is definitely stumbling distance. You're also a long-ish walk the other direction to Monk's, which most people want to know.

No shortage of killer restaurants. Two Top Chef winners and two Iron Chefs in town, plus a ton of other great places. Flying solo, going romantic, or bringing the kids? Fancy or casual? Have a favorite cuisine?

In nice weather, Logan Square right in front of the hotel is one of my favorite places in the city. Right now, it (along with most of the city) will look really gross. You're also right by all the museums, if you have some free time and you're into that sort of thing. The art museum at the end of the Parkway rules, but the Barnes Foundation (art), Franklin Institute (science), and Academy of Natural Sciences (dinosaurs) are all amazing.

I'm going to spend time with friends and party :) We will probably avoid any super fancy meals, but not entirely sure what the plan is. Would love to hit up at least 1 cheesesteak spot (sorry!) and I hear some of the markets are awesome for other cool fast foods.

I'm going to spend time with friends and party :) We will probably avoid any super fancy meals, but not entirely sure what the plan is. Would love to hit up at least 1 cheesesteak spot (sorry!) and I hear some of the markets are awesome for other cool fast foods.
Are you going to be traveling to other parts of the city? Or are you looking to stay close to the hotel? You're in easy walking distance of Center City (see the list of Center City bars on page 1) and Fairmount/Spring Garden (see the list of Fairmount/Spring Garden bars on page 1). owlsfan did a good job of highlighting some of the bottle shops in those neighborhoods (be prepared to pay out the dick at the Corner Foodery). If you know you will be traveling anywhere else, or are open to going a little further afoot, let us know.

There is the Reading Terminal Market in center city that is home to home to some great vendors such as Beck`s Cajun Cafe, Hershel`s East Side Deli, Wursthaus Schmitz, DiNic`s & more. Good eating prior to hitting the town is always a good idea.

Reading Terminal Market is the ****, dude. Get the roast pork sandwich at DiNic's. Tellin' you. If you want to do the Pat's/Geno's thing for cheesesteaks, prepare to be disappointed. They're both kinda gross, in my opinion.

Village Whiskey makes a stupid good, if pricey, burger. If you guys want to just absolutely murder yourselves with meat, there's a Brazillian steakhouse a couple blocks from the hotel. Way more options depending on how far from the hotel you're trying to go.

Back