Massachusetts Visiting Boston in July

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

303Dan

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I'm visiting Boston this July and I'd like to get a couple of beer-centric things in. I'd love some recommendations and takes on a few things:

First off, the place we're renting is in Beacon Hill, so you know where my starting point will be. We're gonna catch a game at Fenway, but that's really the only activity we have planned so far.

1. I'm definitely thinking about visiting Trillium. Stylistically, that's my wheelhouse these days, and being from Colorado, I can't get my hands on it near home. Any suggestions on that as far as which of their two locations to visit, times/days to avoid, etc? Also, is it family-friendly at all? I may have precious little opportunity to get away without the kiddos. I don't want to show up with the whole family if it's not an ideal place for that.

2. Any great bottle shops in Beacon Hill? Or reasonable walking distance or short T ride from Beacon Hill?

3. Other tap rooms, breweries, restaurants, etc I shouldn't miss?

Thanks!
Dan

Boston

Boston Proper

21st Amendment: Low-key watering hole (across from the State House) serving beer, cocktails & bar bites
150 Bowdoin St, Boston, MA 02108

Stoddards Fine Food and Ale: Gastropub serving vintage cocktails & craft beer in a historical building & former corset shop
48 Temple Pl, Boston, MA 02111

Boston Beer Works (Canal Street is near the Boston Garden(Bruins) with tons of Bars. Seasonal

Kenmore Square (Fenway Park)

Bukowski Tavern: Hopping hangout offering a wide beer selection, comfort-food staples & a hip vibe.
50 Dalton St, Boston, MA 02115

Lower Depths: Busy, cash-only spot near Fenway offers an extensive craft beer selection & large pub grub menu.
476 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215

Seaport District/Fort Point (South Boston)

Trillium Brewing Company: Samples & growler fills of craft beer are offered at the tasting room of this family-run brewery
369 Congress St, Boston, MA 02210

Harpoon Brewery: his brewery, which offers tours (all you can drink free samples), boasts a Bavarian style beer hall that serves pretzels, plus a gift shop
306 Northern Ave, Boston, MA 02210

Allston (BU): Hipster-Punk/Music/Bars/College Kids

Deep Ellum: Small, convivial gastropub with eclectic fare, a long craft beer list, classic cocktails & a patio. Worth a visit.
477 Cambridge St, Allston, MA 02134

Sunset Grill and Tap: Lively bar boasting hundreds of tap, bottled & import beers plus a lengthy pub-food menu
130 Brighton Ave, Allston, MA 02134

Cambridge

Davis Square

*Flatbread Pizza: Local Ingredients Local Beer: Candle Pin Bowling Lanes
45 Day St, Somerville, MA 02144

*Rosebud American Kitchen and Bar: Craft Cocktails, Craft Beer, Innovative Americana Food
381 Summer St, Somerville, MA 02144

Saloon: Speakeasy Bar/Gastropub
255 Elm St, Somerville, MA 02144

Harvard Square (Harvard)

John Harvard’s Brewery and Ale House: Casual regional chain brewpub dispensing craft microbrews & comfort food in a lively setting
33 Dunster St, Cambridge, MA 02138

Central Square

*Brick and Mortor: Mixologists star at this hidden cocktail joint with an array of creative drinks in a sleek space (Unmarked door)
567 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139

Kendall Square (MIT)

Cambridge Brewing Company: Airy gastropub with beer as an ingredient in many entrees, plus craft ales from an on-site brewery
One Kendall Square, 1 Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA 02139

*The Friendly Toast: Hip retro-kitsch diner & bar dishing up hearty breakfasts, comfort classics & soda-fountain treats
1 Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA 02139

State Park: Southern fare, creative cocktails & lots of beers served in a playful setting with pinball machines
Building 300LL One, 1A Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA 02139

*Mead Hall: Sleek, spacious gastropub with an ample craft beer & mead selection, plus American bar eats.
4 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142

FYI for Trillium - there is no sampling at the Fort Point Channel location. There is sampling at the Canton location but that's a bit of a drive from Beacon Hill. The Fort Point Channel location is pretty close to the Boston Children's Museum if your kids are younger; its also near the Boston Tea Party. So there are things for the kids to do if you want to pick up some bottles.

If you had access to a car, you could go out to Canton for Trillium tasting, but there's nothing else out there (its in an industrial park). Castle Island Brewing is near Trillium if you're going out there. Jack's Abby is located in Framingham and their beer hall has food too.

Stoddard's usually has at least one Maine Beer Co. beer on draft (when we went there in January they were just switching to Lunch). They have great food.

Depending on if the kids like bowling, the Flatbread Pizza recommendation above is fun. Its actually located in Sacco's Bowling in Davis Square, an old school candlepin bowling alley. Flatbread's usually has excellent beers on tap and great pizza. There is also Redbone's nearby, a fun BBQ place (Boston isn't exactly a BBQ destination, but its a pretty interesting restaurant and they also have a good beer list).

Beacon Hill tends to be a mix of more quiet and upscale fare. There are some local bars (21st Amendment is across the street from the State House, the Red Hat is down the hill from there, there are a couple of bars on Cambridge Street and Charles Street which bracket Beacon Hill) but they tend to have a more traditional beer menu.

I just got back from Boston on Tuesday...harpoon was awesome, especially the tour. Sam Adams was cool too because you can try beers that may never actually reach production/market. Hit up union oyster bar and green dragon for some awesome history.

I just got back from Boston on Tuesday...harpoon was awesome, especially the tour. Sam Adams was cool too because you can try beers that may never actually reach production/market. Hit up union oyster bar and green dragon for some awesome history.

So what was the top thing that the kiddos liked doing? I always like hearing what visitors find interesting about Boston.

my wife and I walked the freedom trail, which took up a good portion of the day, went to fenway and caught a game (bleecher bar was awesome), went to JFK library and public library. Other than that we just walked the streets and stopped and ate and drank along the way. The T was overwhelming at first, but then once we got used it, we realized how great it was. We stayed in Bunkerhill area, so i think next time we will try to find a hotel that offers shuttle service to the airport and/or not have to take the T at rush hour with our luggage. haha

Doh! There's Bunker Hill (across the bay in Charlestown 'don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes' place) and then there's Beacon Hill (middle of the city) :)

You mentioned Beacon in your first post. I'd still recommend a hidden gem. Especially if you had the time or stayed over in Bunker Hill. It makes easy access to the city. Take the water ferry from Charlestown Naval Yard. You walk by the battle area and right by the USS Constitution. You get a great view of the city as you arrive by sea. It drops you off at one of the crowded place in the city. The North End. You can also take the ferry from there to the airport I believe. It's hardly ever busy but you have to make sure of the schedule and the actual place the ferry docks at otherwise you're running around like a chicken with your head cut off.

First time I took it was the day after the bombings with my gf and her kids. We saw seals and all kinds of wildlife on the way and planes landing. Then walked by the aquarium and to city hall to the circus. The ferry was protected by these jacked Naval Seals with semi automatics. I offered one the kid's half eaten cotton candy in a sticky bag to one of them but he declined politely with a smile :)

So what was the top thing that the kiddos liked doing? I always like hearing what visitors find interesting about Boston.

One thing to look up if your kids like baseball is a tour of Fenway, which they do if the Red Sox aren't in town. Sometimes they even let people onto the warning track if the conditions are right. Its a nice way to see the park without the hassle of a game. Of course if you have tickets to a game, that's another great way to see the park!

The fenway tours are great. We did that as a part of a friend's batchelor party. However we were there in february when it was buried in snow. To make up for not getting to go on the field or some other parts we got to see all the broadcaster's boxes. Was cool to sit up there and look over the stadium.

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

We will actually be going to a game at Fenway, so I'm really looking forward to that. Actually, the whole reason for the trip is for my father-in-law's 60th birthday, who was a professional baseball player and has never seen Fenway.

Beer wise, I definitely want to visit Trillium, probably the Fort Point location. We will not have a car. Anybody that has been to that location: are their days/times I should avoid?

I'd also like to visit a good bottle shop or tap room where I might be able to find a good selection of the best local/regional beers.

Actually, the whole reason for the trip is for my father-in-law's 60th birthday, who was a professional baseball player and has never seen Fenway.

That's pretty cool. What level did he reach?

Beer wise, I definitely want to visit Trillium, probably the Fort Point location. We will not have a car. Anybody that has been to that location: are their days/times I should avoid?

I've only been to that one once, but I would imagine that going on Fridays or days where they're releasing a sought-after beer would be a little tougher. But I think even then its doable.

I'd also like to visit a good bottle shop or tap room where I might be able to find a good selection of the best local/regional beers.

One place I forgot about that is relatively new is Hopsters Alley, located in the new(ish) Boston Public Market. That's a great place to get some food; its a year-round farmers' market/food hall that's been very successful. Anyway, Hopsters Alley is a bottle shop located in there that really specializes in local and New England beers. They do occasionally get stuff like MBC Lunch but don't get stuff like Trillium. Its essentially down the hill from Beacon Hill.

Hopsters Alley is an off-shoot of a place in Newton, Hopsters, which a pub where you can brew your own beer. Its probably not going to be a destination for an out-of-towner, but its a pretty good place nonetheless. They also make their own beer and sell it at Hopsters Alley.

That's pretty cool. What level did he reach?

I've only been to that one once, but I would imagine that going on Fridays or days where they're releasing a sought-after beer would be a little tougher. But I think even then its doable.

One place I forgot about that is relatively new is Hopsters Alley, located in the new(ish) Boston Public Market. That's a great place to get some food; its a year-round farmers' market/food hall that's been very successful. Anyway, Hopsters Alley is a bottle shop located in there that really specializes in local and New England beers. They do occasionally get stuff like MBC Lunch but don't get stuff like Trillium. Its essentially down the hill from Beacon Hill.

Hopsters Alley is an off-shoot of a place in Newton, Hopsters, which a pub where you can brew your own beer. Its probably not going to be a destination for an out-of-towner, but its a pretty good place nonetheless. They also make their own beer and sell it at Hopsters Alley.

If I recall, he got to AA and I believe in the Royals organization.

Thanks for the tip on Hopsters Alley, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for and close to where I'm staying.

Dude! Way to cover nearly everything needed in a concise and easy to read format! I would hire you in an instant.... Virtual high-five!

Check out Slumbrew and Cambridge Brewing Company! They're about a 10 minute walk from each other in Cambridge and they're both great. CBC has a nice farm-to-tabley restaurant in it too

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I'm here in Boston now. Gonna catch a game at Fenway. I haven't had the chance to do much beer tasting yet, but I did get a chance to go over to Trillium today and buy a couple of different beers. Drinking a Sleeper Street IPA right now, actually. Nice beer. I've been closer to emulating this style than I previously thought. A couple of my own tries have been pretty close to this.

Back